Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Server setup...?

I would like to set up a server in my home but I don't know a thing about it. It's just a regular computer running some kind of server software isn't it? I would like to have my family to be able to access it from around the country. Can that be done without a lot of cash?? I have three computers and a spare 1 GHz box running Windows XP Pro with a 120 Gig HDD connected to the internet through a 3Com cable modem, Linksys router and a Netgear hub.

Would I need to register a domain name? Is there a free copy of server software floating around out there in cyberspace? And IF I could get it running.... how would my family connect to it?
    Oh, uh, no.... I'm NOT drinking!!! YET!!

You've got a real dummy here so go easy on me!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

well, the domain name isnt required.
    all they would need is your IP address.
    You probably have dynamic IP, which is assigned to you by your ISP and changed every day/few days depending on ISP.
    You could ask your ISP for a static IP which would make it easier for everyone to keep track of.
    as for software, that would depend on how they would connect.
    I would suggest getting some kind of FTP server setup but its all matter of preference.

if a file server is what you're after, all you need is ftp-server software and an IP addy. If it's behind a router, you will have to make sure you have a port open (usually 21 for FTP) and include it with the IP address when connecting (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: 21)

for software, I recomend FileZilla. It's free and open-source.

A static IP would be best, but most ISP's will charge extra for it. A dynamic IP would work, but you'll have ppl calling/e-mailing you every time it changes

You can avoid router headaches by making this server the internet gateway for your home; but that will require 2 NICs amoung other things...
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

The solution for dynamic IP: DynDNS or No-ip, go see those sites!
    You will have a static adress that points toward your everchanging ip!
    SYX -=AMD Powered=-
    AMD 1800+ @ 1880Mhz on A7S333 , 250 Meg DDR 333 Platinum @2-2-2-6
    Asus TNT 2 32 meg (128) , 250W ATX, 200W AT (same case)
    Steel automotive intake fan (see avatar) , 3X40mm exaust fans in the back

Thanks for the input kane2g, minibubba and syx :wave:

I registered to No-IP and have set up IIS in Windows XP Pro.
    No-IP says it may take up to 72 hours for it to start working so I guess I'll just have to wait, huh?

You guys are the greatest!!!
    :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Many thanks!!

Thread Information