Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belkin USB Direct connect XP and ME

Greetings from ole Blighty!

awright, heres the situation...
    I have a Belkin USB Direct connect ( http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...oduct_Id=20963 )

And, i am trying to network two computers:
    Win XP home
    1.8 ghz P4
    256mb ram
    nVidia GF4 MX440/64mb
    with internet access (56k modem) and printer (Lexmark Z13)

Win ME
    468mhz
    247mb ram (!?)
    SiS 620/4mb
    with ethernet card, erm.... nice logo on the case... and not much else.

Well, i have been having some problems with networking these 2.

I have tried to make the settings on both computers the same, so i have disables QoS on the XP machine, and i am currently using the "Client for Microsoft Networks" client on both machines.

The problem, itself is that the network is very, and i mean VERY tempramental. When both computers have been started, and the network accessed, this happens:

at first, both machines see eachother fine, but the XP machine says the ME machine is a windows 95 workstation.
    The ME machine can access the drives on the XP machine just fine.
    the XP machine gets as far as seeing the C drive and My Docs on the ME, but no further. When i try and access C or My Docs on the ME, the network freezes. No activity either way for about 2 mins, then the XP machine compains about Network priviliges.
    after this...

The XP machine can see the ME, but wont give any details about it or access it.
    The ME machine just completely gives up and cant see the XP at all, or somtimes wont access the network.
    To get the network working again, i have to restart both machines.

So, in summary...

The network works fine one way (ME to XP). when i attempt to Xp to ME, the network crashes, and needs a restart to get going again.
    1.8ghz P4 468mhz
    256mb ram 247mb ram
    nVidia GF4 MX440/64mb SiS 620/4mb

Did ya use the networking wizard to setup the network on the XP one first and then make the configuration floppy which is then used on the ME one? :?:

This may be a dumb question, but do you have either specific folders or the harddrives "shared"?

If that has been done, then as said before, the most critical thing is to use the wizard on the XP box, create a network disk once that's done and use the disk on the 98 box

Lotsa luck, home networks are great, when they work!
    AMD XP 2600+
    SOYO Dragon 400
    1 gig 3200 DDR
    Phillips CD/RW
    Pioneer DVD -/+ RW
    2-60 gig HD in RAID, 1 60 gig backup
    XP Pro

well, ive done what you said about the network disk. got it setup an all.
    Now, that son-of-a-microsoft ME Bluscreens a few seconds after windows startsup. If i try an continue, the screen goes blank apart from the mouse pointer, which is frozen anyway!:steam:
    1.8ghz P4 468mhz
    256mb ram 247mb ram
    nVidia GF4 MX440/64mb SiS 620/4mb

We don't call ME MEss for nothin' around here but use system restore to roll back.

when in doubt blame it on ME.
    But seriously. are both machines usb2.0 or is one 1.1?
    cuz usb networking seems like the first thing to go.
    I would recommend going with regular ethernet or wifi network. they might be better option for you.:shrug:

I've connected an XP machine and a Win98 machine via a router though. Initially the Win98 machine could not see any other network PCs at all and the XP ones could see the 98 one but not access any files on the 98 one.
    In the end I think TT helped me with a link to configure my network -see thread as below within last 30days under internet&networking. Mr C gave me some links which sorted my problem (thanks Mr C)
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthre...threadid=14444
    On the 98 machine I needed to install IPX/SPX-compatible protocol and Netbios support for IPX-SPX-compatible protocol in addition to the TCP/IP and the File&Printer sharing for microsoft networks. It works great now.
    Could it be you need to do something similar?
    :?:
    Eye See You..........

Now that's funny as I only use TCP/IP over my whole network. :confused:

but wiggo what OS have u got across ur network? on my win98 pc with only the TCP/IP it just didn't work but going through those guides and installing the IPX/SPX thing it works just fine now.
    Eye See You..........

Actually an XP Pro as the server with 7 other XP Pro's and 8 98SE's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information