Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Types of Internet Connection

Hello guys! I just wanted to know the difference between these three types connections.

ISDN
    CABLE
    ADSL

Which one runs faster and which one runs less.

And also.... what are the Hardware and Software needed for each connections.

Thank you very much in advance! I hope i'm not becoming a pain in the ass in here. Sorry....

ISDN-Multiple Modems; multiple phone lines. Bascially a modem stack, tends to be around 128k
    ADSL-NIC or USB. DSL modem; Runs through your phone line, without tying it up. Speeds vary by ISP, number of users doesn't afftect speed. Tends to be 512k and up
    Cable-NIC or USB card, Cable modem; Runs trough your cable, speed varies by package, and is affected my number of users. Normally 768k-1mb and up

Quote Originally Posted by amd_man2003
    {cable} is affected my number of users.
    that's true, and not so true. if you get a decent ISP you will never notice a drop at all. I live in a highly populated area with quite a few broadband users and round here the vast majority use comcast cable (as apposed to SBC yahoo DSL). I signed up for 1.5/256 (ended up with 3 Mb :D ) and I have never noticed a hit to my bandwidth. I've even tested it at 'peak' hours and it's always been right where it should be, as you can see in the pick attached below. (http://www.dslreports.com/stest)
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

amd_man2003

Shotgun is multiple modems. ISDN is a special, single line service. It is now somewhat outdated.

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bigjackusa
    Shotgun is multiple modems. ISDN is a special, single line service. It is now somewhat outdated.
    Unfortunately, it's still the fastest option for a lot of people. :(

Nothing under 3 MBit should even be called broadband IMH.

I have dsl atm which give me 512/768 and it's no fun at all. :mad:

I usually peak out at 64 down and aprox 84 up. :zzz:

Quote Originally Posted by bigjackusa
    amd_man2003

MY mis-undestanding :o

thanks for all the replies guys!! but it seems that no one mentioned about the hardware needed for each connection except amd_man.

Sorry its just i need to compare those 3 types of connection and what hardware and software needed for my assignment in college.

I know about ADSL but im not sure what hardwares are needed for ISDN and Cable. So i hope you can help me with this.

thanks very much in advance!

When you sign up for broadband, your ISP will generally provide you with all the hardware you need (there may be exceptions in the UK, I don't know). They will either give it to you with a service commitment, sell it to you at wholesale prices, or rent it to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information