Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wireless networking

generally wireless is very good for surfing the net - even if it does lose the connection it'll rejoin before you notice.

As far as security goes for wireless - it isn't secure, sure you can make it marginally harder for somebody to get access but its not secure.

If you want a secure wireless network you'll need stuff like radius servers, ip security, mac address etc. the best option is to assume it isn't secure and make sure that your pc's on your network are secure

Quote Originally Posted by kane2g
    thats correct. but w.o central point, distance between computers will be greatly limited.
    yeah about 20 - 30 feet in the real world, and AP will cover the average house - single story.

A double story house has problems due to the way the signal is transmitted from the AP - to maximise output very little signal is sent up since thats a waste of signal, it is usually sent out horizontally

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    As far as I know, you can still set it up using encryption and encryption keys...
    yes you can. i've done this but as per my other post, its still not secure

if im gonna go wireless.....and i lets say i have a wireless router 802.11g ...do i need to get an extra airport?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information