Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: How to share files thru hub (win xp & win2k)

Hi,

I have been trying to pass files from my old laptop (Win 2K) to my desktop (Win XP), but I just can't get it to work...

I have a hub, which connects the 2 pcs thru each pc's ethernet card (I'm definitely not an expert here...), and once connected the connection symbol (2 flashing monitors) shows up on my windows task bar for both the pcs... but I tried searching for the laptop on my desktop (and vice versa) they just can't seem to find each other!!

I have set both in the same Workgroup... Home. And changed the desktop's etheret card's IP add to 196.168.1.41 and for the laptop it is 196.168.1.43... I was told that this will work... but noooo it's not working.

Any help is appreciated here... thx!

Did ya use the networkin' wizard on the XP box first and then made the configuration disk to be used on the 2K one? :?:

Hello... I did try it once... but it says that is does not work on Win 2k... :(

ok the first thing you have to do is share a folder on winxp box,
    if it asks if you want to run the wizard then do so.

Its also a good idea share a folder on the win2k box

once you've done this you should be able to browse the network neighbourhood and see the other computer.

to test your physcial network do the following

start, run, cmd (brings up the DOS prompt)
    type in Ping 192.168.1.41 or the other ip

I hope its 192 .168.1.41 not 196 .168.1.41, you'll have problems if its the wrong ip range

the other thing that would be helpfull is while you've got the dos prompt open do
    ipconfig /all

and post the results - it'll give us more info

Thread Information