Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Wireless Advice

so far the setup will be

Internet -> laptop-> wireless

wireless-> computer 1

wireless-> computer 2

the idea is that the laptop (win2k server) stays connected 24/7 and the other two log onto it to gain internet.
    TT Original

for a home setup most wifi gear is more than adequate and if you only use equipment from the same vendor sometimes you get a proprietary speed boost in your home wifi network. for example many 802.11b cards will work @ 22mb/s instead of 11mb/s when used with gear from the same vendor only..

if you get into doing a little war driving I recommend orinoco or horizon pc cards the horizon cards have the best range without adding an external antenna..:geek:

Wireless Network, do they still work without access point? If so whats the disadvantage and how to do it?

Many thanks!

:confused:

can it? Becuase that would make it easier.

I was looking at one of these: http://www.netgear.com.au/products/p...asp?prodID=151

how exactly do these work? ie. do i plug it into the rj45 on my network card? or is it USB?
    TT Original

no AP is called Ad-Hoc.
    It will work, but not as well on the distance as AP and 2 nics.

Olie,

what you are looking for as was mentioned before, is the basic linksys wireless router setup. hook it into your dsl line, and put a wireless adapter on each of your systems.

make sure they all have the same SSID, and turn ssid broadcasting off if you can.

don't bother with WEP, as the overhead doesnt make it worth it in a home environment. Instead, turn on MAC filtering, and don't broadcast your SSID (which without that, they can't connect to your network). if you don't want to put a card in each machine, M$ makes a cheap usb-wifi adapter that plugs in and the antenna is moveable. if you have any more questions, hit me up on icq. :)
    [space saving sig]
    AMD 0wn3z j00!
    [/space saving sig]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information