Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Wireless Advice

Well i have a new machine on the way which means a nice distance between machines.

Now i've run phone line through our house before and it was the absolute ****s let alone trying to get cat5e to my room, my sisters room and the family room.

So i have opted for wireless

I have $500 AUD to spend on 1 base and 2 access points

now my local store is where i get most of my gera because i get it for less than webprice instore.

http://www.itwarehouse.com.au

reccomend me some gear!

It will mainly be for internet/filesharing/printer etc.

W00t ADSL finally :D
    TT Original

Depending on the distance and how many walls, you might not need that much equipment.
    i've got Linksys wifi router and it covers my house pretty well. I have issues outside the housem but i think thats due to the fact that the house is made of brick and my router is in the basement.
    I would recomend getting just 1 unit and testing how good of a connection you are getting, than add APs as needed.

PS. I recently set up an ad-hoc network with 2 systems that are on 2 different floors and about 30m away from eachother. The signal strenght was betweeen Excelent and Very Good.
    HTH

just picked up a linksys wifi router and so far it works pretty well. Granted I just hooked it up an hour ago so I havn't been able to really test it yet. Although I could still get a good-enough signal in an apartment a few doors down.

I also discovered I'm not the only one using wifi here, but so far I'm the only one using encryption and filtering ;)
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Quote Originally Posted by minibubba
    I'm the only one using encryption and filtering ;)
    I got wep on :D

Quote Originally Posted by kane2g
    I got wep on :D
    i got wep disabled but I'm doing mac filtering and have a radius server which if you don't log into you don't get an IP address. I also have a separate subnet for my own personal network so there are different logins for internet access and network access..

I keep logging people trying to get on my AP. go figure..:hammer:

hehe i dont think minibubba was referring to us, but the other people in his apartment building :cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by theyneverknew
    hehe i dont think minibubba was referring to us, but the other people in his apartment building :cheers:
    you couldn't be more right ;)

I figured most of the folks here that use wifi would use some sort of protection, if not a combination of things. Now the people living near me are another matter... :cool:

walls: walls are thin and few

now how about some sugestions!
    TT Original

all i can suggest is what I'm using:

Linksys Broadband Router (802.11 B) with a matching linksys PCMCIA card (came together).

But don't just take my word for it though; I'm still giving this an in-depth testing, but I'm happy with it so far

Well, Im going to suggest B as well
    I got same router as minibubba, Linksys BEFW11S4.
    My Ipaq connects fine to it, get a Green on ministumbler throught the whole house, which is great. Im using a CF wifi card made by dell in the ipaq.
    I also get good signal for the orinoco card.
    Just tested it tonite with a differnet laptop thats in for "repair" ;) and I got OK coverage on my driveway too.
    So I would go with a router and some PCI wifi cards, and you will be OK.
    I dont think you'll need more equipment to cover the house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information