Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet Question

OK i am using cable internet high speed with a D-Link 530 tx (rev A) network card direct connection to my modem using ME .
    Every thing works fine on this computer.Get a ip address and all that stuff. OK i put a new card in the second computer D- Link 530 tx ( rev c ) unplug one comp from modem and connect the other comp(direct)from the modem. is there much of a difference in the two cards, Because it won't connect to the internet, all my configurations are right driver's are loaded and it shows in device manager the second computer's OS is XP Pro sp 1 If i take the D-link 530 tx (rev a) and put it in the other comp with xp pro the internet works.I tried putting the D-link 530 tx (rev c) in first comp with ME and same thing just won't connect to the internet. Is it the card or do i need to contact my internet provider.
    I hope this is enough information.
    Thanks to who relies
    To put it bluntly i take out my network card from one comp to the other for it to work what's up there

You might start off by getting in touch with your ISP (or hitting up their website) and seeing their policy on multiple computers connecting through their service. Some assign IP addresses depending on the MAC address which is inherent of the NIC itself. If they have no restrictions on multiple connections, then it is likely the NIC... but I have heard of some ISPs who take up to 24 hours to assign a new IP address to a user who makes changes to their MAC address.

Of course, it might be better to use a switch as the ISP will only register a single IP but the switch will internally assign up to its maximum number of connections. I use a Netgear router/switch and have created both a home network and multiple connections to the Internet. :D
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

What im doing is going from one card to the other with a direct connection from my modem shoudn't it give me the same ip address on the other computer, Im phoning my cable company and talk to them. Thanks for the reply
    P-S I have a 4 port Hub will that do the trick or would a router be the way to go.

Hey, BUDLITE!
    You should be able to manualy enter your IP address into you PC's, if only one connected at any given time.
    Might also be your OS

I've got broadband high speed.
    I use Dlink router DI-604 bought at Office Depot was like $20.00 after $20.00 rebate, rated top notch by PC shopper,
    Its 4 port router. It has excelent firewall mine is set to stealth mode.You can also run firewall program on your pc, If your a security freek. I have 4 PC'S connected, two have printers,and 1 has scanner all networked together. all have high speed service simotainiously.
    If I wanted to connect additional pc I could just add another router just daisy chian together

Dlink also has router with print server on it think one is DI-704??
    with that one all pc's could share printer without networked together.

The router works something like this Uses one IP address from provider than inside your net it assigns your PC's with private IP addresses

If your not running firewall with high speed service you should!

Good Luck!:cheers:

It lets me enter my ip address but won't let me put in the subnet mask say's my number is to high 255.255.252.0 it will only go as high as 223 don't no how to get around that.The computer that won't connect is running XP PRO SP-1 If i take out the network card from the comp that connects to the internet and put it in the other one i can connect to the internet (strange)

XP usually very friendly when connecting to internet?
    Couple thing's to try.
    Sp1 installed and all critical updates installed if is ? Good!
    There is also other updates as well, you probably don't need most of those, I dont, there is about 14 or 15 of those I do not use!
    One of those gave me problems with internet connections it is update 817778 if you have in your programs list try removing it, you can always add back in.

In control pannel: (network connections) make sure your Lan or High Speed Connections are enabled.
    Control pannel: (Internet Options) in connections: check, automatic connections box
    set security and privacy to default settings
    In general tab: you have your home page address set.

Restart PC cross your fingers

If that dont work can try : do windows Repair using xp cd youll need your product numbers, doing repair should leave install program's intact,some stuff will be lost and would have to be reinstalled, I believe you have to reinstall some updates, sp1 will still be there, when doing repair make sure your card is installed when doing so.

Good Luck! :snip:

OK i wen't and got another network card same D-Link 530 tx (rev c) formated my hard drive for a nice clean start loaded my card driver's,configured TC/IP and still gives me nothing ,and it's getting to late to call my cable internet provider. Is it any way possible that a internet card could not be compatable for my computer.These new D-Link cards have a different look to them then the D-Link in the comp that connects the metal part that goes into the slot , Just a thought pulling my hair out with this one.

first of all
    you need DHCP address to connect directly with cablemodem. static IP wont do!
    Second, why dont you try to put both cards in same system.
    Plug modem into one, run the wizard (if needed) see if you can surf, than plug it into second NIC, run wizard, see if it works.
    if one works and another doesnt on the same system than its the NIC itself.
    GoodLuck

OK i'll give that a shot I did put the other nic on this machine by itself configured it didn't work is that not the same . I'll try your theory and see what i get.Thanks

im gonna go with Darth and say that your ISP is only allowing the MAC address (which is burned in, and not changeable) of the first NIC connect. I would call them and see what they have to say. 5 mins on the phone might save you A LOT of headache. :thumb:
    [space saving sig]
    AMD 0wn3z j00!
    [/space saving sig]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information