Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Connecting via IP through network (Long)

OK, the situation is thus: The company I work for is looking into a DSL line. We currently have ISDN because DSL was not avalable to us until now. We have the ISDN modem working as DHCP server, which runs to a Linksys router to provide internet access to our 4 workstations + server.

The problem is that we have 2 computers who need to be able to connect with computers at other locations (Netmeeting/PcAnywhere programs) at the same time. Currently we can only have 1 computer using the ISDN line at a time, and if the other needs to connect with a customer they have to use a standard 56k modem to a seperate phoneline. To get one computer to connect with a customer, we have to go to the modem's settings, reroute all incoming data to the IP of the computer that will be online with the customer. This will now let that computer make calls/directly receive calls from customers via Netmeeting or PcAnywhere. The other computer can not however, and must use a 56k modem to connect with another customer.

Is there any way to have both computers receive/send calls over the ISDN connection? If we upgrade to a DSL connection will the answer change? Also, our server is running Microsoft Server 2003, so that may/may not offer solutions. Thanks in advance, and if you need clarification please ask :).

Beefy Guest

If the ISDN modem is sitting between the router and your ISP, then you should be able to start connections from any computer behind the router and they should work. The only reason that you should need to forward ports / set IP addresses is if someone on the other side of the firewall / router is trying to start a connection with one of the internal computers.

However, at the moment with the ISDN, you could set up one machine as a simple gateway / Internet Connection Sharing machine (2003 Server would be ideal) and use this for all connections to the ISDN line. It would be capable of sorting out all the routing issues that will crop up and should allow the connection on both PCs at the same time. It's strange though, as if you are initiating the call from behind the firewall / router, you shouldn't need to set any IP addressing or port forwarding on the router, unless I'm not understanding the situation properly.

If you got DSL, then you'd be setting it up the same way (modem / router -> internal network), so things would probably end up being the same.

Well, you've helped answer part of my question, and perhapps now I can better restate my original intent. What we have is a very small network: server running 2003, 4 workstations using 98-XP, and a DSL internet connection. I am trying to configure the server to do Internet Connection sharing, DHCP, Firewall, DNS, and Domain Controlling. Do you have any links to some really good 2003 information sites? I need a little bit more in depth than a simple reply can encompass, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Shenlon01
    Well, you've helped answer part of my question, and perhapps now I can better restate my original intent. What we have is a very small network: server running 2003, 4 workstations using 98-XP, and a DSL internet connection. I am trying to configure the server to do Internet Connection sharing, DHCP, Firewall, DNS, and Domain Controlling. Do you have any links to some really good 2003 information sites? I need a little bit more in depth than a simple reply can encompass, I think.
    your best bet for a link for info is http://www.winnetmag.com/windowsnt20002003faq/

you are tackling a lot for not knowing what you are doing. Not to mention, i wouldn't use a server for a firewall unless you are running something like OpenBSD, NetBSD, or FreeBSD. You are kind of contradicting yourself with what you want the server to do. Do yourself a favor, and get a linksys 8-port router, hook the WAN to the DSL, and the 4 comps and server to the internal ports. Then your firewall, dhcp server, dns, and internet connection sharing is taken care of. then you can stand the server up as a single domain controller.
    [space saving sig]
    AMD 0wn3z j00!
    [/space saving sig]

Thread Information