Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Connecting two computers

I'm only new to XP and an absolute network novice. I am trying to connect my Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop to my HP Pavilion m703 to facilitate photo image down loads from the laptop to the desktop. I've connected the two directly with an ethernet crossover cable and run the network wizard on both, nominating the desktop as the Internet access. I have a green light showing on the ethernet connection for the desktop, and an orange light showing on the ethernet connection for the laptop. I have reversed the cable, end for end, to test, but the status light indication remained the same. If I go to networks on the laptop, it displays shared documents for the HP, but doesn't access. Networks on the HP desktop shows no shared folders with the laptop.

OK seein' as no one has had a crack at this I'll try. When ya ran the network wizard on the desktop did ya make up the network configuration disk and use it on the laptop? :?:

Make sure your folders are set to share on both computers to start. Right click on the hard drive icons in My Computer and click the sharing tab. You can figure it out from there. Also make sure any firewalls are off. Go to control > network connections > right-click local area connection (maybe it's called something else for a crossover connection?) > properties > advanced tab > uncheck the tab there. That will turn off XP's built-in firewall. Also turn off any other software firewalls you might have. One last thing to make sure of is that you have all of the right services enabled. Start > Run > services.msc. From there, make sure Server, Workstation, and Network Connections are all set to Automatic. Just for clarification, both computers are running XP, right?

Thanks Wiggo and YawgmOth. Both systems are running XP, and according to the Wizard, the configuration disc is not needed if both systems are running XP. All that is required is that the wizard is run on both and that one of the computers is designated as the Internet access. I'll give your advice a go YawgmOth and see what happens. Thanks heaps.

Thread Information