Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a webserver

I want to put together a webserver. Nothing special, just a basic webserver for pictrues, few files, ect.
    I have a spare 333Mhz system with 8gb drive. Its not a beast, but it should do the job.
    So, first of all, will that CPU be enough? it should as its not going to be visited with same traffic as this site is, right?
    What OS should I go with? XP vs Linux?
    I want:
    - low maintance
    - ease of use
    I would like to be able to upload a hole page (html/pics/liked files) at once.

Im open to suggestions.

The system is enough for a small personal website.

Personally I would use linux, but its not the best if you want ease of use, so you should choose a version of windows. On such a low spec'd machine, i'd probably use windows 2000, but if you can't get that, then use XP.

I assume the server will live on your network. If so, then do upload files, all you have to do is keep the folder with the website files shared.

2000 will work. (just as long as its not 9x)

OK, I am planning on using dynamicDNS, which my router supports. but it seems that I need to set it up somehow and I must be missing a step.
    I chose a name already, but when i go to in, all I see is my routers setup screen :(
    I would like go into the SetiQue, but my port forwarding isnt working.
    What gives? How can i make it so that going to kane2g.kicks-ass.org will bring up SETIQue or later on a webserver??? :confused:

Also, I should put the webserver into DMZ right?

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kane2g
    2000 will work. (just as long as its not 9x)

OK, I am planning on using dynamicDNS, which my router supports. but it seems that I need to set it up somehow and I must be missing a step.
    I chose a name already, but when i go to in, all I see is my routers setup screen :(
    I would like go into the SetiQue, but my port forwarding isnt working.
    What gives? How can i make it so that going to kane2g.kicks-ass.org will bring up SETIQue or later on a webserver??? :confused:

Also, I should put the webserver into DMZ right?
    What kind of router do you have for starters? That'll make things a bit easier to troubleshoot.

Have you set up your DDNS address already, and if so, does it work? Your webserver shouldn't be in the DMZ. All you need to do is forward port 80 (HTTP) and possibly 21 (FTP) to the server. As I'm not sure what SETIQue is, I'll leave that alone.

Router is Linksys BEFSR41, version 3 if that helps.
    I guess Im not going to bother with making it work with SetiQue. But rather put together the webserver.
    Which brings up the question, besided W2K, what software will I need to make a website run??

PS. Why not in DMZ? its there for just that purpose, isnt it? I know I can forward the ports, but wouldnt putting it in DMZ make it easier/simpler as port forwarding would have to be setup?
    :confused:

Still trying to get a hold of all this, so bare with me.

Beefy Guest

For the DMZ, let's put it this way - do you want people only to have access to the webserver parts on your server, or do you want to open up all network ports, which will then be vulnerable to all sorts of port scans and other crap? It's a risk that isn't worth taking.

If you're using Win 2K / XP, then there's two main options for you for serving - IIS (built into Windows) or Apache (free downloadable server)

IIS isn't too bad, as long as you keep it patched. Fairly easy to run and use. Apache seems to be one of THE main bases for webservers around. A little bit more finicky, but works a treat.

Already found apache. Seems OK, but building some pages to test it out.
    If you want check out sirwarrior.kicks-ass.org
    and see if its working or not for ya.

The thing about DMZ makes sense, so gonna leave it on the LAN and be happy :)

Beefy Guest

one note - any files you want on the web page need to be in the folder that is published.. so linking to pics in other folders, like My Documents, won't work. :)

First time I saved my page with FrontPage it actually moved all the linked files into the directory, but when i saved it again in another folder it didnt :(
    But yea, I noticed that and its fixed already :thumb:

OK, setting that up wasnt hard at all.
    Now that I got apache running, can I make the machine be also a Mail server?

PS. If any of you want to visit me, its at http://sirwarrior.kicks-ass.org/
    I also put my setipage there so there is no more popups! :thumb: :thumb:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information