Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: WTF is 3Com LOM??

Hi all, I Just got my new 64 rig, and I'm having problems connecting to the internet. The mobo I'm using is the Asus Kt8V deluxe. I set the connection up like I would on any other PC and It apears to connect. But when I open up IE nothing happens. I think has something to do with that LOM feature. I think I jacked up a setting or something. Anyone know why my PC apears to connect but doesn't actually?
    Main RiG:
    CPU: Athlon 64 3200+@2.17
    Mobo:Asus KT8V deluxe
    Ram:1Gig Corasair XMS PC-3200
    AGP: eVga GeForce 6800
    Case:Antec SLB
    HDD:Maxtor 80Gig 8mb
    PSU:Antec TRUE380

LOM= Lan on Motherboard a.k.a. gigabit ethernet so If it were me I'd make sure the drivers for my motherboard were installed correctly and that my computer recognized my ethernet( integrated or not), but it may also be disabled in your bios since it is integrated or there might be a conflict with the irq settings with your ethernet.

We've got a couple things goin on here at the same time. You also might want to check with your isp that all your settings to connect with them( I am assuming this is cable/dsl) are correct.

And finnaly check to make sure under internet options that I.e. is set up for lan and that you don't have it trying to connect to proxies....i.e. automactily dectect settings.

Also check this link

http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/d...sku=3C940-MV00

Try this one too for the connection assisant

http://www.3com.com/prodforms/softwa..._thankyou.html Hope this helps.

Although more specific info would be benificial to anyone else trying to assist you.

I'm a little confused here, I thought LOM was for setting up a home network. Your saying it's gigabyte ethernet? So should I connect through the LOM? also, I noticed the ethernet port on the rear I/O panel is for networking. should I plug my dsl in there? I wasn't sure so I installed a ethernet card anyway, that didn't work either.
    Main RiG:
    CPU: Athlon 64 3200+@2.17
    Mobo:Asus KT8V deluxe
    Ram:1Gig Corasair XMS PC-3200
    AGP: eVga GeForce 6800
    Case:Antec SLB
    HDD:Maxtor 80Gig 8mb
    PSU:Antec TRUE380

I went to Asus's site and looked for your motherboard, "Kt8V", and I could not find it. Are you sure you're using the right designator?

From 3com's site

Features & Benefits

Migrate Your Motherboard Connections to Gigabit Ethernet
    The 3Com® Gigabit LOM lets you quickly and easily outfit OEM systems with 1000 Mbps LAN-on-motherboard connections. Its forward-compatible pin hardware and software drivers help standardize assembly—enabling you to use the same board layout and images when newer 3Com LOMs come to market.

Built on Marvell's industry-leading PHY, this gigabit ASIC is fully compliant with global Ethernet standards and quality tested for reliability. Support for standards means seamless integration, while setup utilities and an EEPROM offer reliable installation, customizable configuration, and trouble-free troubleshooting.

Your customers and end users will appreciate the performance-enhancing features—including 10/100/1000 Mbps autonegotiation, checksum offloads, advanced bus mastering, on-chip buffer memory, Jumbo Frames support, traffic prioritization, and efficient multicast control. Central control capabilities help them streamline IT administration, minimize work disruptions, and improve end-user productivity.

Support for standards such as IEEE 802.3 and PCI 2.2 helps ensure seamless integration with standards-based hardware and software

Setup utilities and an EEPROM offer reliable installation, customizable configuration, and trouble-free troubleshooting

A comprehensive driver suite helps ensure straightforward LOM installation in a broad range of systems

Centralized management enables customers to use remote and after-hours desktop administration, reducing site visits and work disruptions

Low pin count minimizes board space and simplifies signal routing

Pin and software driver compatibility with current and future 3Com ASICs

3Com Connection Assistant simplifies setup and troubleshooting for end users

As long as your are using an ethernet card wether its on your mother board or bought seperatly( a network card), you can plug in your dsl into either one, as long as its RJ-45 based, which this one is.

Product Specifications

Connectors, media: RJ-45; 10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T

Operating distances: 10BASE-T: Category 3, 4, 5, or 5e UTP up to 100 m (328 ft)
    100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T: Category 5 or 5e UTP up to 100 m (328 ft)

Data path, buffer memory: 32-bit 33/66 MHz PCI; 128 KB deep packet buffer

Processing offloads: TCP/UDP/IP checksum

Drivers: Microsoft Windows 2000/2000 Professional, XP Home/Professional, Win-64 XP, Me, 98 SE, Windows NT 4.0 Workstation; Novell NetWare 5.x/6.0; Linux 2.2/2.4/-64 (Red Hat, Caldera, TurboLinux, SUSE)

Management: Supports WfM 2.0, ACPI 2.0, RWU over the bus, MIB II, DMI 1.0/2.0, PXE 2.1, EFI, BIS, SNMP

Setup, diagnostics utilities: EEPROM, cable testing; DOS utilities, GUI, EFI, 3Com Connection Assistant by Motive; 3Com Managed PC Boot Agent

Standards conformance: PCI 2.2, PC2001, 802.3, 802.3u, 802.3ab, 802.3x, 802.3z, 802.1p Packet Prioritization, 802.1Q multiple VLANs (>16 subnets), 802.3ac VLAN tagging, efficient multicast control, Jumbo Frames, ANSI/TIA/EIA-568A

Power requirements: 3.3 V, 2.5 V, and 1.5 V

Temperature: 0o to 70oC (32o to 158oF) operating; -30o to 90oC (-22o to 194oF) storage

Humidity (noncondensing): 10% to 90% operating; 5% to 95% storage

Altitude: -300 to 3000 m (-984 to 9,836 ft) operating/storage

System Requirements

PCI 2.2-compliant system

Package Contents

PCI LOM

Installation CD-ROM with setup and diagnostic utilities

Please Note

Drivers listed are shipped with each LOM. Other product drivers are available from independent software vendors.

This Product Supports...

Connectors, media: RJ-45; 10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T

Operating distances: 10BASE-T: Category 3, 4, 5, or 5e UTP up to 100 m (328 ft)
    100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T: Category 5 or 5e UTP up to 100 m (328 ft)

Data path, buffer memory: 32-bit 33/66 MHz PCI; 128 KB deep packet buffer

Processing offloads: TCP/UDP/IP checksum

Drivers: Microsoft Windows 2000/2000 Professional, XP Home/Professional, Win-64 XP, Me, 98 SE, Windows NT 4.0 Workstation; Novell NetWare 5.x/6.0; Linux 2.2/2.4/-64 (Red Hat, Caldera, TurboLinux, SUSE)

Management: Supports WfM 2.0, ACPI 2.0, RWU over the bus, MIB II, DMI 1.0/2.0, PXE 2.1, EFI, BIS, SNMP

Setup, diagnostics utilities: EEPROM, cable testing; DOS utilities, GUI, EFI, 3Com Connection Assistant by Motive; 3Com Managed PC Boot Agent

Standards conformance: PCI 2.2, PC2001, 802.3, 802.3u, 802.3ab, 802.3x, 802.3z, 802.1p Packet Prioritization, 802.1Q multiple VLANs (>16 subnets), 802.3ac VLAN tagging, efficient multicast control, Jumbo Frames, ANSI/TIA/EIA-568A

Power requirements: 3.3 V, 2.5 V, and 1.5 V

Temperature: 0o to 70oC (32o to 158oF) operating; -30o to 90oC (-22o to 194oF) storage

Humidity (noncondensing): 10% to 90% operating; 5% to 95% storage

Altitude: -300 to 3000 m (-984 to 9,836 ft) operating/storage

System Requirements

PCI 2.2-compliant system

Package Contents

PCI LOM

Installation CD-ROM with setup and diagnostic utilities

Please Note

Drivers listed are shipped with each LOM. Other product drivers are available from independent software vendors.

And yes I am saying that it is gigabyte ethernet 1000mbps/sec

below here is the current product list of all asus's motherboards and thier designators, as you can see I could'nt find kt8v. Are you trying to say K8v? with Via's chipset?

Thread Information