Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Testing Networking Security...

Hi Guys

I know there are hepas tools out there that Administrator's can use to determine how secure their networks are. I want to know if there is site that hosts a variety of these tools.

It would also be very useful if the sites reviewed these tools, informing users which tools are better than others.

If there are any top tools that you guys use aswell, I would also be interested in hearing what are your thoughts.

In regards to firewall's, are the only tools that are used to test them are port scanners or are there other types of utilities that should be used?

Thanks gents.
    [COLOR=sky blue] CASE -[/COLOR] Antec Plusview 1000AMG |[COLOR=sky blue]| PSU -[/COLOR] Antec TrueBlue 480 Watt |[COLOR=sky blue]|HSF -[/COLOR] ThermalTake Copper Spark7+ |[COLOR=sky blue]| CPU -[/COLOR] Intel Pentium 4 3.4Ghz |[COLOR=sky blue]| MOBO -[/COLOR] Abit IC7-G (BIOS Rev: 21) |[COLOR=sky blue]| RAM -[/COLOR] Corsair TWINX 1024MB DDR (PC3200LL) |[COLOR=sky blue]| VIDEO -[/COLOR] Palit Daytona GeForceFX 5900 |[COLOR=sky blue]| SOUND -[/COLOR] Creative Audigy 2 Platinum |[COLOR=sky blue]| HDD -[/COLOR] x2 Western Digital JB 120GB (RAID 0) |[COLOR=sky blue]| CD -[/COLOR] Pioneer 16x40x 106S Slot DVD / LiteOn 52x24x52 CD-RW |[COLOR=sky blue]| OS -[/COLOR] Windows XP Professional SP1

I'm not sure what to do with this one..

most of the tools you are looking for can be used both ways; to test a network and to hack it. Ironicly, that is often the best way to test a network...

In the meantime, might i suggest you go to your local bookstore and take a look at the Anti-Hacker Tool Kit, 2nd Edition. I know it's a silly title, but it has a good deal of valuable information (and will answer your qusetion in detail)
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

This might be relevant. Minibubba himself told us about this one, though. So it might not help you much (otherwise he might have mentioned it).

I hadn't thought of that actually, but that takes a fair about of know-how to use it, as well as some linux experience.
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Beefy Guest

The port scan from Gibson Research is a good place to start. Looking at your firewall and seeing what's actually allowed / denied is also another good way. If there's something open that doesn't need to be, close it.

cain and abel @ http://www.oxid.it/ is one of my favorites. that and pandora [for netware networks], not sure if pandora is still out there anywhere though it used to be recommended by nomad mobile research center http://www.nmrc.org/

Thread Information