Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: College doesn't have to be boring.....

pretty suite d00d!!
    [space saving sig]
    AMD 0wn3z j00!
    [/space saving sig]

and thats not even the full potential of my connection :D

My college connection, on off peak hours, it is not uncommon to peak above 1 MB/sec. Our college got a T1 connection in 1996 (so I'm told) and wasn't upgraded until 2000, and since I have asked anyone I can find (as far as res-net), (but they are all incompetant) and noone knows what exactly we have.

The best I have sustained was this 1,190 K/sec.

Albinus, I don't know your exact situation, but I would suggest that you not go around bragging about being on the connection, because if people hear that, they will persue getting on, and all of a sudden, the 187 K/sec will be chopped in 1000 pieces....

In late 99, it got so bad that we could not load a page from 3 PM - 11PM. Napster was partly to blame, but it was just as bad at times the previous year (pre-Napster era)

Quote Originally Posted by zeradul
    Albinus, I don't know your exact situation, but I would suggest that you not go around bragging about being on the connection, because if people hear that, they will persue getting on, and all of a sudden, the 187 K/sec will be chopped in 1000 pieces....

I usually bring my machine along at night or on Saturday when nobody is using the Internet connection - so bragging here is perfectly fine methinks :p

Well, i wasn't talking about bragging here (the forum) so much as to your real life friends.... I was assuming you lived on the campus at the college...

if only my 56k could do 1g/sec *drool* haha...:D
    <Insert Witty Comment Here.>

To be more percise a T1 is 1.544Mbps. Also most of the larger Colleges have T3 (43.232Mbps or 672 normal voice lines).
    My dream conection is an OC 192 connection (9.6Gbps). I have only read about them but that would be truly flying.

The Tweaktown Site Server runs on multiple OC3 connections :)

256Mbps each I think...
    SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
    Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

Albinus, I have to agree with Zeradul on this one. Bandwidth at a college campus is socialized, and like any situation involving the socialization of a resource it is best to keep its availability unknown.

Most colleges are full of students who are literate when in comes to Plato, Kant, and Thureau, but not when it comes to anything computer related. I would keep the bandwidth bragging on the down low, just because when little newbies hear that they can download at those speeds (if they understand what those speeds actually mean), your school server is going to be bogged down with Backstreet Boys video downloads as well as eDonkey Traffic of Girls Gone Wild.

The best thing to minimalize newbie hogging of bandwidth is to never speak a word about Kazaa, eDonkey, Morpheus, etc. to anyone. Keep it for yourself.
    <Font size=2>"The demand to restrict technology is the demand to restrict man's mind" -- Ayn Rand
    <a style="text-decoration: none" href="http://www.whiteglovecollection.com/cord">
    <font color=blue><font face="Century Gothic" size="6">My Web Site</a></font>

Well the system administrators keep shifting the IP address of the proxy server, so it's a matter of finding it again every few weeks. This usually keeps the n00bs at bay - they haven't got a clue on how to find the new address ;)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information