Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Networking with a 56k connection

Here is my setup. I have a Desktop connected the the 56k connection via phoneline. The desktop is also connected to the Linksys wireless router in port 1. I also have a labtop with built in wireless G.

Now my problem is that I want to be on my labtop and connect to the internet through the desktop pc. But I can't figure out how to configure the desktop to allow this. I also can't install the software from my router because it says I'm not connected to the internet. How do I hook this up so that it will recognize the internet?

i used to use a program called Wingate to do that years ago. then windows 98SE had internet connection sharing built in and there was no more need to buy a piece of software to do that. basically the wireless router is going to be used as a hub in this case and you'lll have to turn off DHCP on the router and setup the PC with the modem as the ICS server..

the MS how to is here: http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/p...orking/ics.asp

there's guide on viperlair for win2K which has more details: http://www.viperlair.com/articles/so...ng/ics_1.shtml

Thanks for the links. I have been doing a lot of searching but I was unable to turn up much. I even called Linksys support but was disconnected after a little while.

I forgot to mention I am running XP on both machines. I'll try these guides tonight and let you know how it works tomorrow.

One more thing. How do I hook up the wires to the router. I have the desktop connected to port 1. I don't have anything hooked up to the internet port. What should go here?

I haven't personally tried this under XP (or any OS for that matter, switched to cable a cuople years back), but go to Control Panel\Netwrok Connection. Mess around with the connections in there (one should be for net, one for WLAN). There should be something that allows you to share Internet. You can also try bridging the connections (there's an option somewhere in Network connections).

Alternatively, there might be something you can do inside the router. To access the router, opening up a web browser and go to "192.168.1.1" (no quotes). Enter "admin" without quotes as the password with no user name when prompted. Inside there, I have no idea what to do. I'd like to consider myself "advanced" in the area of networking, but I'm not one of the experts.

You have three options at this point:
    1. Wait for someone else to post.
    2. Call Linksys tech support.
    I can't believe I'm about to say this again, but Darthanion doesn't seem to care....
    3. Go to http://beefy.nucleardays.com/forums/...?referrerid=12
    Because of issues with this sites, the majority of the veteran users have moved there. I and some others still post here, too, but you'll get better help with this over there. There are people over there who are literally experts that should know how to do this.

Thanks, I have tried all of those except the website. I'll give that a try.

Just run a proxy server...get a freeware one off the internet. They aren't too difficult to set up.

Most of them, like Wingate, have step by step instructions.

Mike

I'll try that. Thanks for your help.

Thread Information