Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: XP pro - PC won't share it's resources

I got a simple home network. Running XP pro on two different machines, netgear switch, DHCP server (from router) all my IP addressess are in order.

The machines are both Intell, one is a P3 out of the box Dell, and the other is a P4 3gig on a gigabyte MB. Both have XP SP2 as well as the latest microsoft updates.

My issue is this. On my gigabyte machine I can see the the other machines and use all shared resources etc. However, from my other machine I can see the gigabyte box in the workgroup, but whenever I try to access the gigabyte box, it pops up and asks for a userid and password. Much like the old NT log in id.

On my network I can see the gigabyte box, and even if I do a cmd promnt "net view \\'ipaddress'" I can see the gigabyte box and the shared resources I am trying to access.

The gigabyte machine is a fresh build, I just put it together a few days ago. There is not much software on it at all. No passwords on the shared folders. I removed the shares and put back in a bunch of times. Mostly trying to share a printer and drives.

Any suggestions?

tks

actualy if I do a net view \\computername on the remote machine I get the System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied.

So got some security issue going down but any suggestions on helping me figure it out?

Try sharing a new folder on both computers and go through all the steps that may ensue, you should be able to share after that.

tried that - but no luck.

tks again.

Make sure your firewall isn't turned on for both machines. Make sure both machines have File Sharing under the NIC properties.

Sounds like there is a firewall or some other protective software, like Norton Anti-Virus can cause networking issues. If I think of something else I will post it.

Mike

Yeah, definately check for firewalls. I had a PC-cillin firewall on that I didn't know about and that screwed me up for a little while. Also make sure both computers are in the same workgroup. And you could try static IP's, that might help a little.

Thread Information