Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: WIN2k Server Problem

I cannot access shared folders or drives on my Windows 2000 Server from a remote location by typing in "\\<servername>\<share>" from the command line (or from My Computer or
    IE). When "\\<servername>\<share>" is typed in, windows will prompt for a login and password. If an incorrect login or password is entered, it will re-prompt for both. If the correct login and password are entered, it will give the error "an unexpected network error occurred".

I have checked the shared folder's permissions and can't see anything out
    of the ordinary.
    The server is Running W2K Server w/sp4 and all computers trying to access it are running W2k Pro w/sp4

What does work: I can access two web directories that are located on the server using
    FrontPage extentions, and I can also login to the server using terminal services.

Any help would be appreciated.

Well it's always possible you have some service disabled, but...
    Do you have a firewall running? It's possible it's blocking the ports your trying to use.

When and how did the problem start? Did you just get done with a fresh install of the server, or did it just randomly start happening?

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    Well it's always possible you have some service disabled, but...
    Do you have a firewall running? It's possible it's blocking the ports your trying to use.

When and how did the problem start? Did you just get done with a fresh install of the server, or did it just randomly start happening?
    I have checked on the service and it isnt disable but my partner mentioned something about after a clean ghost image install on the server the share proccess works fine but he said after he did a windows update one day the problem started happening. We can do everything else with the server though, such as remote into it with terminal services and upload frontpage files to it with no problems its just the logging in with the username that is giving us the unexpected error.

If your partner had the problem after a Windows Update, that is likey to be the problem. Either remove recent updates, reinstall the OS, or search MS articles for fixes. If it's not a critical fix, it shouldn't matter if you uninstall the update. Even if it is, most of the fixes fix things that can't get around firewalls and updated AV protection anyway.

sounds good when i get into work tomo ill go threw and uninstall the updates then reinstall as needed thanks for the help.

win2K problems with MS04-011 patch

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=841382

apparently if you have software which uses IPsec services installed on a machine that you patch you may need the hotfix they describe. They have a workaround which requires disabling the IPsec Policy Agent service via safe mode. Looks like only Windows 2000 is affected.

Thread Information