Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Cannot view shared folders over the network

Default Cannot view shared folders over the network

Hi,
    I have Windows XP Pro installed. I enabled file sharing on my computer to share some folders of mine over the network. the problem is when i try to access those folders from my other computer it gives and error. "My computer name" is not accessible. you might not have permission to use the network resource. ect" I use to be able to view my files. i don't know what happened. My firewall is disabled. I also deleted the network card and did a fresh install but still no good. I think it might be a windows problem. Any help i would greatly appreciate it. I still could remote desktop to my computer. So my clients are picking it up. all the other computers have XP installed as well. My machine could also view and enter the other computers on the network

Default Re: Cannot view shared folders over the network

Go to start > run > services.msc and ensure that Server, Network Location Awareness, and Workstation are all set to Automatic and are started.

HI,
    I did what you told me. One of the options was set to manual. but when i did automatic, the same thing happens. I did a restart and shutdown of my computer. Any other suggestions. Thanks

If you have firewalls disabled, have necessary services started, have all the computers on the same workgroup, and have folder shared then I don't see why you can't access them.

Maybe someone else has an idea...

Thread Information