Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: is there such a thing as a router with dynmic IP addresses

Default is there such a thing as a router with dynmic IP addresses

is there such a router that will assign a new IP address (or hide mine) everytime I go online NOT ONLY FOR WEB SURFING but also for any other application I run. for example, i want to host a game server but I dont want people to know the IP address.

Default Re: is there such a thing as a router with dynmic IP addresses

No. Your ISP chooses your IP. The router only provides you with a network IP. You can get the router to assign you a new network IP, but that won't do much in most situations. For a gaming server, people would have to know your Ip to even connect to the server, to even see it...

As Yawgy said, if you want people to connect to you, you need to tell them where you are. For some games, you could get a free dynamic DNS name (through a service like DynDNS, but that'll only work for some games, and it's still easy to find your IP by doing a nslookup.

What's the big fear of telling people your IP? If you've got a router that's not wide open, you should be safe from attacks...

thanks for the info guys.,

my reason for wanting to 'hide' my IP was so I could avoid people who like to crash servers.

I'll just have to go ahead and do it the 'normal' way and see what happens, if some kids crash it, I'll just have to restart it until they stop or it get on my nerves and I give up.

Thread Information