Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: two computer, one Internet cable

Default two computer, one Internet cable

Hello

I've got an annoying problem. I live in a Student Flat with my gf and my landlord lives next door. blablabla. Anyway the landlord decided he would share his 3mb connection. Here is the link if you need to look at it http://www.telewest.co.uk/html/internet/internet.htm.
    Anyway he drilled a hole in the wall and stuck a cable in to connect to my computer. Everything was dandy and the Internet worked fine, didn't have to assign an IP or nothing it was done automatically.
    However, now I want to connect my gf's computer up as well. Although i can't get him to send another cable in. I bought another NIC and cross over cable thinking I could bridge the two NIC's (the one with the Internet cable and the one with the cross over cable connecting to my gf's computer). However I get a message constantly saying "an unexpected error occured while configuring the network bridge". Also unless I maually assign an IP address to the second NIC it won't connect... says limited or no connectivity. Is this even possible what I'm trying to do? Can someone please help me. I have limited knowledge when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Thank you.
    Flunders
    Last edited by flunders; 10-10-2004 at 10:02 PM.
    << Flunders >>

Intel Celeron CPU 2.0MHz O/C'd at 2.94MHz // Coolermaster Aero 4 // Gigabyte GA-8SQ800 SiS 655 chipset // Zalman ZM-NB47J Northbridge Cooler // Leadtek Research WinFast A250 Ti4200 64MB O/C'd at 300/585 /w Zalman ZM80C-HP Silent VGA Heatpipe Cooler and Fan // OCZ 512MB (2x256MB) PC4000 Dual Channel Gold Series DDR // Maxtor DiamondMax Plus9 120GB 2MB Cache // Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Platinum // Pioneer DVD-120 Slot Load // Enlight Endura EN-7250 case // Globalwin Super Silent 22dBA 320W ATX Power Supply // Panasonic (PanaSync E70i) 17" Monitor // Wheel Mouse Optical // Cherry G83-6000 PS2 Keyboard // Creative Webcam NX PRO

Windows XP PRO SP1

Default Re: two computer, one Internet cable

Alright, I'm not positive, but I think I can do this. Assuming both machines are using either XP Home, XP Pro, or 2000 (although some name may be different in 2000)...

Have the two NICs (or NIC and onboard ethernet, whatever) in your PC. Connect the ethernet cable to one of them and run the Network Setup Wizard (assuming it doesn't just set itself up automatically). Connect the crossover cable to the second NIC and your girlfriend's PC. Run the Network Setup Wizard, and choose the second option: "This computer connects to the Internet through another computer on my network or through a residual gateway." Make sure you haven't done any sort of service tweaks (meaing you opened up services.msc or the Services tab in msconfig.exe), such as the ones in the Windows XP Tweaking: Reformat to Relax guide, because you may have disabled a necessary service for Internet Connection Sharing. If you have done any sort of service tweaks, tell me specifically what guide you read and I can help you re-enable the necessary services to provide functionality. If you have't done any, and it still isn't working, try bridging the two connections on your PC. You may also have to manually enter IPs for your girlfriend's computer and for the connection to her computer on your computer.

Or, you could just go get a hub, switch, or router of some kind (I think a hub would be fine for this) along with a CAT5 cable. You can get good ones for well under $30 U.S.

Default Re: two computer, one Internet cable

Yawgm0th, you are a star!!! It's all working now!

I used a lot of the service tweaks over at http://www.blackviper.com/ and that was the reason it didn't work. It's always somthing silly! But thanks again! Very much!

Flunders

Thread Information