Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop networking

Default Laptop networking

My friend has a toshiba satellite A45 S250. I have just reformatted his computer and installed the necessary network drivers. However, the his internet connection still refuses to work. Packets are being sent and recieved. What can i do??

Default Re: Laptop networking

a) Does the network side of things work?
    b) How does he connect to the internet? What kind of connection, hardware, etc..?
    c) Can he connect from another PC?
    All around me are familiar faces
    Worn out places, worn out faces
    Bright and early for their daily races
    Going nowhere, going nowhere

Im in a college dorm. Basicaly, the cat5 cable works when connected to another computer. So far, all i can get to work is his wireless connection. However, his dorm doesnt have wireless... thus, he needs to get the LAN to work.

Are IP addresses assigned automatically, or do you need to assign an address? Same goes with DNS addresses, possible proxy server addresses, etc.

ip addresses are assigned automatically. His internet worked before we reformmated... but now...

Did you reinstall the chipset drivers, too? Are you sure you have the right network drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    Did you reinstall the chipset drivers, too? Are you sure you have the right network drivers?
    If it worked when it connected to another PC, then I'd assume it works :)

Here's a list of things I'd go through to see if you can find where the problem is:

- Make sure you are being given a proper IP address. If the machine can't find an address, it'll usually default to 169.x.x.x or something like that. Not what we want.
    - If you can get an address, then you should probably have a default gateway as well. Try ping that, or at least another machine that is on the network
    - If pinging works, then find out if you can access anything on the network.
    - If that works, then check with someone to see if you do need to set up anything else, like a proxy server or some other setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutineer
    If it worked when it connected to another PC, then I'd assume it works :)
    Missed that. If he's trying to use crossover to connect to the net, though, wouldn't that explain his problem? If he's using the same cable he did for connecting it directly to another computer...

Depends on the switching in the dorm. Chances are they'd have an autosensing switch. I was kinda giving the guy some credit and assuming it was the right cable, plus when he said it worked before the reformat, I assumed it was good :)

Basically this is how the college system works. We have to register our mac address on resnet in order to connect to the internet. This has previously been completed by my friend before he reformatted. I'm pretty sure the drivers are correct. I used the Quick recovery disk and looked at the available drivers online. I even used the "restore default programs" on the recovery disk. Thus, the drivers must be installed. An ip address was "unavailable", so there is no default gateway. However, everytime i click on IE, packets will be sent and recieved. I'm really confused, considering that i have reformatted 3 other computers here in college, including my own, all that worked fine.

o yea... thx for all the input, greatly appreciated! ^^

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information