Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Network snafu

Default Network snafu

My co-worker posted this on another forum. He got some suggestions but nothing worked. This is over my head. Can anyone here see if he missed something? Appreciate any help.

"I am trying to share a printer between to different computers. The pc's are connected to a Linksys Dsl router/4 port switch. The workgroup has a common name and each computer has its own name.

The "Antec" computer is the printer host computer. It is running XP Professional. It has the ICF turned off. TCP/IP is enabled as is Print and file sharing. I am using Microsoft Client. Both computers show under "workgroup computers". The printer is set to "local printer". The properties box shows it as a shared computer using the name "Lexmark". The printer works fine with this computer. It will also print documents off of the other network computer from this location.

The "Compaq" computer is running ME. It is an older computer. Both network computer icons are shown under "My network". The "Antec" icon shows a printer connected to it. I ran the "Add printer wizard" and configured it to "network printer". I used the browse option to locate and set the following
    path: \\Antec\ Lexmark. The drivers are loaded. If I try and use this printer, I get the printer progress box and a message that says: "Problems communicatiing with the printer". I have read FAQ's, Tutorials and even visited the Microsoft website on Home Networking and have done everything they stated. Have I overlooked, or misunderstood something? I have been at this for a week now. It can't be that hard.
    Does anybody have any idea? Desperate. Thanks in advance. "

Default Re: Network snafu

When you see the printer on the network (from the Compaq machine), do you have an option in your right click menu to connect to this printer? When we switched to XP as a primary OS at work, this was the easiest way to connect to the printers hosted on an XP box. None of our systems use ME, though, so I don't know if this option will be available to you. If so, try connecting that way. I can't say why it worked for us, but it did when doing it your way failed.

Good luck.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

If you haven't done so already, try running the Network Wizard again on one of the XP boxes, then once you're done, create a Networking floppy to run on the ME box.
    AMD XP 2600+
    SOYO Dragon 400
    1 gig 3200 DDR
    Phillips CD/RW
    Pioneer DVD -/+ RW
    2-60 gig HD in RAID, 1 60 gig backup
    XP Pro

Thanks for the replies. I'll try and be concise with my info. I know it is difficult to stay with lengthy threads.
    We ran the XP set up disk on the ME computer. This basically put the XP Wizard on the ME machine. It didn't help. Let me show you guys what appears on each of the two computers, maybe you can spot something we are overlooking:

From the XP machine, clicking on "My network places" takes me to Local network. I see icons for shared documents on both networked computers. I DO NOT see a printer icon (but I'm not sure I'm supposed to on this screen). On the left hand side of this page, I can click on "View workgroup computers". I now have a screen that shows icons for both networked pc's. If I click on the computer icon that the printer is physically connected to, I get a printer icon.The properties box shows the printer as "shared".
    I can also get the same results by clicking "Printers and faxes" on an earlier screen. The printer has a check ark by it and says "Ready".

On the ME machine, I click "My network places". This takes me to a screen that shows shared folders, but again no printer icon. (Again, maybe it isn't supposed to?). I click "Entire network" and my Netwrok icon shows up. I click on this icon and icond for both networked pc's appear. Clicking on the computer icon that has the printer connected to it, shows me a printer icon with the shared printers name underneath it. If I right click on it, I get a drop down box with options on it. NONE of these options say "connect", but one says "Open". If I click on "Open", I get a box with more options on it like "print document", help", etc. This box has a "properties box" , but it has no "shared" options like the XP drop down box does. Printing fails regardless of what I try.
    I am wondering if even though the printer path is set to \\Antec\Lexmark , the Compaq computer is sending the print data to the LPT1 port? Any thoughts?.TIA

And you've tried: "Add a printer" "a network printer or a printer attached to another computer" "browse for a printer"?
    AMD XP 2600+
    SOYO Dragon 400
    1 gig 3200 DDR
    Phillips CD/RW
    Pioneer DVD -/+ RW
    2-60 gig HD in RAID, 1 60 gig backup
    XP Pro

At the Compaq pc, the "Add a printer" wizard gave me a box with two options. One was for a local printer, one was for a Network printer. I chose the Network option. It then asked me for the path. I hit browse and went to:
    Network\Antec\Lexmark and clicked that option. The wizard put that path in the box and proceeded to the next step. I believe the port looks like this now: \\Antec\Lexmark.

I did go into the properties where you select Microsoft Client, TCP/IP, etc and clicked on File and Print sharing. It was already present, but there was a big box that asked me to click on the printer that I wanted to share, or unclick those I did not want to share. It then asked for a password. The problem was that there were NO printers in that box to check. The big white box was empty. Maybe this is where the problem lies. I am way beyond my abilities here. I am a novice myself.

It may take a bit of time, but if you don't solve this problem soon I will see what we did on our own work network with mixed operating systems. I seem to recall having to map the printer and I think I probably still have a cheat-sheet with info, but I'll have to look to see. If I recall, we had to build a protocol and assign a specific port to the printer and then network to it from there. Very poor explanation, I know, but I'll see if I can find the papers I'm talking about and elaborate.
    My Toys

I'm guessing that this is problematic because of XP being a different platform than ME. The Microsoft website sure does make it sound like sharing a network like mine is no big deal. The filesharing seems to be okay, but the printer has been a bear. I can't find anything that I have not done as suggested, so maybe this is just some odity between my two pc's and my printer.

I wouldn't bet on it. When we first began porting our new systems to WinXP we had a heck of a time trying to get printers back online that had been shared for years.
    My Toys

I was hoping our "noviceness" was not the problem...........:)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information