Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Win2000 and Win98 Networking Problems....

Hi guys
    I'm running Win2000 pro on my main system and I'm trying to network it with one of my other PC's which is running Win98se. I'm not using a hub or switch just conventional peer to peer is what I require.

I have no problems accessing a shared folder on the Win98 machine but I can't get the Win98 machine to access my shared folders on my Win2000 machine sucessfully. I know that it may be a problem with my permissions. I know file sharing done on win2000 is quite different from getting it to work on a win98 machine as there are no security features on Win98, please help guys.... :afro:
    2Some's fine but 3's a crowd.....

ok u have to create a user with the same name as the user that is logged on win98 machine

to find out what his name go to start- shutdown-logoff XXXX

on the win2k machine go to the control panel - admin tools - computer management - users and groups

create a new user - make sure that its not asking for the user to change their password on first login and then u should be right

Hey there mate
    Thanx so much for replying to my post and you are exactly correct about the fact that I had to create a user. I had a feelin it had to do with user creation but wasn't too sure where to go to do it.

I also initially thought that I didn't have to create a user due to the fact that I thought that only applied to Windows 2000 server and advanced server, guess I was wrong hey.... :rolleyes:

Anyways, I worked it out and everything is now sweet as mate.

Thanx again dude....:p
    2Some's fine but 3's a crowd.....

its a fairly common mistake not to realize that when u load win98 you are logged in as a specific user

Took me a while to work out the answer when i first had trouble

now all you need is a wins/dns server to speed up network neighborhood browsing, and you should be set, course then you might as well want to add a domain controller, and then a...........

lol!!
    [space saving sig]
    AMD 0wn3z j00!
    [/space saving sig]

Print Server.....and then a Ghost server...and then....
    sKuLLsHoT
    www.morb.ath.cx

net serevr .... and an mp3 serevr......and a CS server.... :p

i think the last one should have been bumped to the top. :)
    [space saving sig]
    AMD 0wn3z j00!
    [/space saving sig]

Thread Information