Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Network Nonsense

Default Network Nonsense

Greetings and Respectful Salutations:

Soon, I will do this to my computer, unless someone takes pity on me.

I have a nice big Computer. My son has a nice big Computer. My husband has a little Laptop with a tiny, grotty keyboard, but let's keep the discussion Clean and not start Cussing about Laptops and their Many Failings. They (the humans) wanted to be connected to the Internet and to my nice Printer, so we stupidly bought DSL service and a Linksys Router and hired the Geek Squad to come out and make them Work. We got Sold all sorts of Antennas and Cards we didn't need after All. Anyway, They worked for a day. The Geeks come back and fix them. They are very Secretive Geeks. Then they work. Then they don't work...

$600 later, the computers are back to their Nonsense. When husband tries to print, he gets a "print spooler" error. His computer cannot even Ping the printer (we try to make it do this in the Troubleshooting help). I cannot display any Properties for the printer, because it says it isn't really there (no print spooler) although we see a Depiction of it. And he cannot get online. Son can get online, but gets thrown off all the time. My computie is fine, which is causing Intense Hatred towards me by the other family members.

As you can tell, I am a Total nincompoop about this. I am very ANGRY at myself, because I have bought Three very thick Networking books and read and read and read about networking and Read all about Others on these Forums w/problems but do not know what to do. I can't afford to bring the Geek "Squat" out here again. Each time, they accuse us of "changing" settings, and honestly, we do not!

Geek Angels, I humbly beg some help about Where to Start, What to Read that will help me be able to Do the Networking.

Red face Re: Network Nonsense

Try to uninstall then reinstall the drivers for the network cards (Right Click my Computer > Properties> Hardware>Device Manager> Then look for your Network cards and chose Uninstall Drivers and then reboot and Windows should automatically detect the use the drivers) on each pc, then make a new network from the PC that is connected to the Modem/Router.

Default Re: Network Nonsense

Just ignore Fenix_2...

Start by telling us which computers are connected to the router via a cable and which ones connect wirelessly. Also, what operating systems are the computers running (such as Windows XP, or Windows 98)?

Quote Originally Posted by holly
    hired the Geek Squad
    that was your first mistake...

anway, we need to know a few things first.

a) what operating systems are in use here? (XP Home/Pro, 98, 2000,...)
    b) are there any wired connections, or are all the connections wireless?
    c) is the printer connected to one of the PCs, or is it connected to an independent print server?
    d) is the only connectivity problems with the printer, or are you haveing other problems as well?

Oh dear Oh dear...

I have XP Home on my machine, a Sony Vaio, which is the machine that is connected to the modem that the Internet People came and put in, and my computer also has the "Wireless-G Broadband Router" connected to it. I guess my machine is the "boss" of the Other Two. They are connected Wirelessly. No wires are going between them. I put a Big Ball of Aluminum Foil on top of the Linksys attennae, but it doesn't Seem to be helping Much.

The printer is connected to my Computie, too. It is connected with a Wire.

The other two computers can get online Often. The Laptop is the Naughty One; many times, it cannot get online unless I pull the little Plug out of the Broadband Router and then Replug it. Then, Monsieur Le Laptop behaves. For a bit. Sometimes my Son's Computer cannot get online unless I do the Plug Trick. My back is Much Too Old to do this.

The Printer is the Main Problem, because Plugging and Unplugging does not fix it. And it never Fixes Itself. I can print Fine. And I can Share folders with the other two Machines. But this "Print Spooler" business is becoming the "Print Spoiler!"

*sigh* Thank you for answering me. This is the "other side" of the Net. We usually just hear the Bad, but really, there is some Good, like this Site. Thank you all. I am in the Middle of Nowhere way out in West Texas and the Geek Squad is all we Have here.

Oops I forgot to Say that All 3 of the computers have the XP Home system on Them. Also the Geek Squad says Never to use the Big E to go online, but I don't like that little Firebox (or Firesox?) One he put on the Desktop. Is it really Unsafe to use the Big E? He intimated that that caused the Problems, using the nice E to scoot Around on the Web.

The "Firebox" that the Freak Squad installed was most likely Mozilla Firefox which a great alternative browser [a browser is a program used to browse websites] compared to "The Big E" (Microsoft Internet Explorer). Firefox is safer and boasts many new features like tabbed browsing. The reason "The Big E" might be bad to surf the web with is because most hackers and viruses target "The Big E" so it has more attackers going after it. If you can update all your secruity settings via Microsoft Update and use a spyware guard I reckon "The Big E" would be fine.
    Last edited by Fenix_2; 02-09-2005 at 06:24 AM.

Thank you Fenix_2 for clearing Up the business about the E versus the Firebot. I do have the Spyware and the Ad ware fighters installed and running and I also run them in Safe Mode (Freak Squad said to Do That) every day. I don't want to get a Virus.

Agree with Fenix. Keep using Firefox and don't think about Internet Explorer until you get a site that doesn't work properly in Firefox (which are few and far between, and most of them are malicious).

I'd say we should start with the network problem, because printers can actually be more difficult than wireless networking, and you simply can't find or fix the problem sometimes, which is rarely the case with wireless networking.

Is your computer connected to the wireless router and the modem, or is the modem connected to the router, which is connected to your machine? The way you put it, it sounds like the Geek Squad setup your computer to provide Internet sharing, which would be retarded considering you have a router...

Also, what kind of signal strength are you getting on the wireless computers? There should be a little icon in the taskbar (lower-right hand corner of the screen) with information on the wireless connection, including signal strength. Knowing this tells us whether or not you have a physical problem with the router or wireless cards not getting strong signals. Also, what kind of wireless devices are the computers using? USB (probably the same type of cord your printer and mouse use, for example)? PCI (comes out of the bottom-back of the computer)? What brand are they? Do they have cords or corded antennae that allow you to adjust placement, or are they stationary devices that cannot be moved without moving the PC?

Oh no...
    Both the Router and the Modem go into the back of the computer, the host computer.
    The signal Strength on the two distant computers says "very good" and "excellent" usually.
    The Laptop is a Toshiba. It has an Antenna already in in, we are told. The other PC is a Dell and I guess it has One, too. We don't have any Trouble with the Dell other than it gets Thrown Offline alot.
    Nobody has any Antennas actually sticking out of them, except the Linksys Router which Sets by my Computer.
    We bought Cards to put in the two Distant computers, but the Geeks said we didn't Need them after all. But they wouldn't Take them back because they were Opened already.
    The Laptop is really getting Crazy in that it can Get Online sometimes, but if you get Offline to look at Word or something, and try to get back on (even with Firefox), it gets Hung Up and you have to turn it off by taking the Battery out of it. Then it is okay once you Put the Battery back in and fire it up Again, until the next time you try to Switch between the Net and an application. We give up on trying to Print and I got my husband one of those Cheapie printers to put by his Laptop.
    Thanks for your help, it may be that we just have to live With This mess. This is what comes of being able to Afford things you Can't Understand.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information