Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Theyre History

Also, I forgot to mention that the 3 miles is dependent on the gauge of copper in the ground. The standard today is 22 guage. Old stuff is 19 guage and can reach a little farther. Just hope that your provider didnt skimp and go with 26 guage.

See ya.

You can get satellite out in SD, as anywhere in North America.... :P

Slow, Slow, And Slow. In the future that could be a good way to go but right now Satellite is very costly, inconsistant and a little better than dial up. Also it is subjective to weather just like satellite tv. If you live where it is always sunny then it might work great but still costly and slow compared to Cable and Dsl.

Quote Originally Posted by Potatoe2
    It is just a matter of time and my half a minute will be a reality. In my area half a hundered ADSL lines, plus or minus 10, are installed 5 days a week. Soon everyone can have it. If you can afford A high speed comp, you will be able to afford the connection. cometition will put the price down. zooom
    Sure adsl is for everyone,,,ha bullsh*t, you have to be within 35k friggin feet of the asdl GOD

Quote Originally Posted by Rancher

Sure adsl is for everyone,,,ha bullsh*t, you have to be within 35k friggin feet of the asdl GOD
    LOL
    I have to drive 20 miles to get a loaf of bread:laugh:
    Bandwidth just isn't in my future.

Unless someone would be willing to donate about $1400 for the first years satelite hookup:cry:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

I get great c-band sat here in Fairbanks AK. 120miles south of the arctic circule. We also have dishnet + their internet starband subsid, but geez what a slug of bucks just ta hook in then $60 mo for terrible 30ms latency times. Can you a game via this crap?
    And the uploads are 33% slower then the downloads, whatever they are at any given time. I'm 30miles to that loaf of bread Mr C

$60 a month ain't too bad for satelite though.
    Is that the total, or is there all kind of weird charges and taxes like on a phone bill?
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Unless someone would be willing to donate about 00 for the first years satelite hookup
    What? I have a brochure that says I can get hooked upto a satellite system for 400$ of hardware, plus 40$ a month.... and around here (Wisconsin) a second phone line costs 20$, and 56K dialup costs 22$... so if you need to use the internet much at all, rural areas it is far more cost effective to go with satellite...

My parents currently have a mini satellite dish, and the only times i have ever seen a reduction in quality is during the absolute peak of a BIG storm... the longest the tv reception has ever been affected in 2 minutes... so I highly doubt that weather plays MUCH of a role in significantly reduced speeds...

what a slug of bucks just ta hook in then mo for terrible 30ms latency times. Can you a game via this crap?
    Haha! 30 ms is wonderful for gaming... absolutly devine. You mean 300ms... which you would be VERY lucky to get over satellite...

still costly and slow compared to Cable and Dsl
    Duh. We aren't debating the situation for urban areas...

Here the $400 for equipment is the same.
    Per month it's $69 -- then add on a wad of taxes so we'll realistically call it $75.
    I have PrimeStar for TV service (it's rural here remember?)
    They have a little cheaper rate for satelite connection, however when surfing through the onscreen guide to get the channel listings the thing is horribly slow and blanks out quite often for up to 1 minute. There is no way in hec I would use that "service" to provide my internet connection.

As far losing the signal goes, it has improved greatly in the last 2 years, but it is still not as good as what you are experiencing.

My ISP charges $20.75 per month (tax and all), in addition I pay the phone company $2.60 per month so I can dial that number as a local call.
    As for the second phoneline -- my wife don't need to be on the phone when I'm home anyway
    But don't tell her that:laugh:

Well Rancher, 35k ft is a pipe dream. That would be excellent if Adsl could reach that far. As I said earlier in this thread, 18k ft is the max range and repeaters or doublers cannot be used. The industry is dominated by Cisco and Nortel and for the most part they are compatible with one another.
    Well Mr C, 20 miles is way out there but you are not 20 miles from your remote or slick. I am in rural minnesota and most of Minnesota has Adsl, Dsl, or some form of Broadband. South Dakota is more rural than most states and Broadband may take longer to reach you. If I was a bettin man I would say within the next 2 years some sort of Broadband will be there. The industry is growing amazingly fast.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information