Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 computer wireless

Exclamation 2 computer wireless

hey,

im looking at getting wireless networking for 2 computers, so i can share the internet (ISDN). i just wanna conferm wat i think.

if i get a 1 router and 1 pci card. will it work
    (plug the ISDN modem into the router and plug the computer the router. than can i plug the PCI card into the other computer.

(im very new 2 this networking)
    if u know a gr8 wireless networking site plz tell.

thx (ASAP!!)

Exclamation Re: 2 computer wireless

0...forgot 2 mention the router i am looking at is the

D-Link DI-624 Wireless Router/ 4port Switch 802.11G (108Mbps)

and the PCI card is

D-Link DWL-G520 Wireless PCI Adapter(108Mbps)

thx again

Default Re: 2 computer wireless

Each computer you hook to the network has to have its own networking port. Whether you have one built into the mainboard or you get it by means of a PCI card, each has to have one. You'll plug your internet connection into the router/switch. Then you'll send out cables from the switch to your computers. I'm not keen on wireless (I'm a security-minded type), but basic networking principles will still apply.

Oh, and make sure you change the default password on the switch when you get your network set up. This is one of the easiest ways to circumvent a wireless system.

EDIT: Scratch the cable portion, forgot you're looking wireless here. As long as both systems have a wireless network adapter, you'll be able to utilize this feature.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Smile Re: 2 computer wireless

wow.....that was amazingly FAST

i ought it would take bout 2 days

(ill give it a go...thx)

Question Re: 2 computer wireless

oops my bad.....forgot a question

can we both go on the net at the same time and not lose any speed and still be using 1 phone line?

thx again

On the net at the same time, probably... but you will see a decrease in performance. To start off with, ISDN isn't that fast of a service. When you use a network like this you will be sharing that same bandwidth between the two machines.

As to the "probably" statement above, some ISPs take steps to make sure that more than one connection to the internet does not occur on the same account. For general purposes, both machines would be seen to have the same IP address if probed from outside (the different internal IPs are handled by the router/switch). BUT... there are means that an ISP can use to check for network connections. If you have any problems with connectivity after everything is set up properly, check with your ISP to see if they allow what you're attempting to do.

Of course, your best bet (if you can afford it) is to look into broadband and then network that connection.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Exclamation Re: 2 computer wireless

i feel really bad for forgeting/ coming up with all these questions but i have another

wat type of cord goes from the pc (#1) to the router? is it a crose over cable or a normal 1?

and i think from the modem to the router is a s-bus cable am i right? (also is there another name for s-bus - is it possible to use a WAN cord?) - (THIS IS MY MAJOR PROBLEM PLZ HELP ME!!!)

just making sure i can swap files, print from #2 using printer connected to computer #1 andplay networked games. (eg: GTA, redalert 2. etc)

and can we still use the phone (2 digital phone lines) at the same time as wen wer on the net.

he he he
    <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"></v:shapetype></v:shapetype>
    <v:shapetype coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"><v:shapetype coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"></v:path><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 415.5pt; HEIGHT: 284.25pt" type="#_x0000_t75" o:ole=""><v:imagedata src="file:///C:/DOCUME~1/Owner/LOCALS~1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_image001.png" o:title='\\"\\"'></v:imagedata></v:shape><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"></v:path><o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 415.5pt; HEIGHT: 284.25pt" type="#_x0000_t75" o:ole=""><v:imagedata src="file:///C:/DOCUME~1/Owner/LOCALS~1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_image001.png" o:title='\\"\\"'></v:imagedata></v:shape>
    Last edited by free_park26; 03-03-2005 at 01:40 PM.

hey,

any1 know i realy need 2 know fast

thx

normal CAT5

cross over is for connecting two computers without a switch / router
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

yer,

i found that out yesterday, but thx heaps anyway.

would u mind looking at the other questions perticuly from the modem to hub.

thx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information