Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Setting Up Network Printing

Default Setting Up Network Printing

Hi all, I just recently purchased a laptop and would like to somehow network things so I can use my existing printer, an HP Deskjet 830c. I know the printer is a dinosaur but I can't afford better right now. I currently have the printer connected to my desktop via USB.

At the desktop I have a router that will support both wired and wireless connections. My plan is to connect the laptop via wireless. Can someone please point me in the right direction to setup so I can print a document from my laptop to my existing printer?

I realize I will probably need to leave my desktop on and run a program or something. I have just never done this type of a setup before, and need some direction.

Thanks!
    Last edited by logixrat; 10-06-2005 at 10:06 AM.
    Dimension 4550 | Intel 845PE Chipset | P4 2.53ghz, 533 FSB | 256mb PC2700 DDR RAM | WD 60gb 7200rpm (2mb cache) | IBM 60gb 7200rpm (2mb cache) | nVIDIA Geforce4 MX 420 (64mb) | Soundblaster Live! | WinXP Pro SP2

Inspiron 9300 | Pentium M 740 | P4-M 1.73ghz, 533 FSB | 512 MB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz (2 DIMM) | 60 GB 5400rpm | 64MB ATI Mobility Radeon X300 | Integrated Audio | 17" Wide Screen XGA+ Screen | WinXP Pro SP2

Default Re: Setting Up Network Printing

As long as you set up your home network all should work just fine. And yes, the machine with the printer attached has to be on for the netowrk print job to go through.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

I'm glad to hear that I can do it, but unfortunately I am network retarded. Can you explain to me the exact procedure.

I know how to get my laptop to recognize the network to allow internet and file sharing. But I know nothing at all about the printing side of things. Do I just install a print driver and click print? I assume I would need it to transmit over IP addresses, but that is about all I know.
    Dimension 4550 | Intel 845PE Chipset | P4 2.53ghz, 533 FSB | 256mb PC2700 DDR RAM | WD 60gb 7200rpm (2mb cache) | IBM 60gb 7200rpm (2mb cache) | nVIDIA Geforce4 MX 420 (64mb) | Soundblaster Live! | WinXP Pro SP2

Inspiron 9300 | Pentium M 740 | P4-M 1.73ghz, 533 FSB | 512 MB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz (2 DIMM) | 60 GB 5400rpm | 64MB ATI Mobility Radeon X300 | Integrated Audio | 17" Wide Screen XGA+ Screen | WinXP Pro SP2

From what I've played with so far, if you can share files between machines then you're already set to share printers. You'll just have to find the printer on the machine it is connected to then attach it. You can usually do this by either going into printers and selecting install from network or you can go into your Network and find the computer with the printer, double click it and it should show you the printer, then right click and choose connect. You might have to load drivers, but thats about as hard as it gets.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thread Information