Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ADSL Ethernet modem speed sharing with a switch

Default ADSL Ethernet modem speed sharing with a switch

Hi to all!

I want to connect 3 Win 2000 PC's and an ADSL Ethernet Modem to a switch so as to share Internet, but I also want to be able to control the speed each PC connects to the Internet.
    Is there a program, a setting or sth. else I can use?

Thanks

Default Re: ADSL Ethernet modem speed sharing with a switch

I don't know of one but I'm not a networking guru either. Hopefully one of our users has something a bit more helpful.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

A switch won't do you much good, but a router will.

As for limiting the speed, I don't know of any programs you can use, however, I do know of something that would probably work.

Rather than buying a tradtitional router, you could get a complete PC (it doesn't need to be fast) along with several NICs or a switch. You put Smoothwall (which is not a program, but rather an entire Linux distrobution), on the PC, which makes it act as your router and firewall. I'm not extremely familiar with Smoothwall, but I bet that it comes with a function/program that lets you limit connection speeds. If it doesn't, I'd be very suprised if there isn't a Linux program out there that will.

Aside from that, there are two alternatives that I can think of. The first would be just using a Windows PC and having it share Internet with the other two (this would require that PC to have two NICs). From there, you would need a program (and I don't know of any, but you can Google around) that's capable of limiting the connection speed of computers with which that machine is sharing Internet.

The other would be a program that puts a limit on how much bandwidth a computer will use. This is the simplest option, though possibly the worst.

This is all assuming they don't make routers or switches that have that kind of a function. If there is one, it's probably a Cisco router intended for very different circumstances, not to mention prohibitively expensive.

Yawgm0th

Thanks for your detailed reply.
    About the 1st solution, we can't afford it.
    About the alternatives, I'm searching for that bandwidth limiting program and that's why I wrote this message.

Does anybody else know such a program?

Thread Information