Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Network Question.

Exclamation Network Question.

I have two computers in separate rooms which share a internet connection (router and modem) thats the only way they are connected. Just wondering if it was possible to set up a network where I can use files from one computer while im on the other and also share the printer connected to one of the comps on both of them. Just wondering if/how I can set it up.

Thankyou,

Brennan

Default Re: Network Question.

That's easy. I'll assume you're using Windows 2000/XP

Just right click on a hard drive, directory, or file you wish to share, and click properties. Go to the Sharing tab and choose to share it on the network. Right-click on your printer in Printers and Faxes and do the same.

To get the files, just go to My Network Places on the other computer and any shared folders should show up. When you install the printer on the other computer, browse for network pinters and you'll see your other computer's name and then its printer.

You'll also need to have these machines on the same workgroup. Finally, make sure any software firewall you have is set to allow connections with the other computer.

Thankyou, that seemed to work, I could have sworn I had tried that before.
    Last edited by Brennan; 11-13-2005 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Solved

One more thing, when im in Microsoft Word and I go to print the printer is not in the list, so I click on find printer and it tells me the directory service is un availible, just wondering how I can enable that or whatever.

That's... wierd. Can you print from other applications? Also, you might need to have MS Word installed on the printer's computer in order for anything to print from it.

Thread Information