Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Mixing Wired and Wireless Internet

Sunyb36 is offline Junior Member

Question Mixing Wired and Wireless Internet

Hi Folks-

I have a dilema and need some solid advice. I current have my broadband internet service through a cable modem. I have 2 Dell Desktop Computers connected through a Belkin Wired Router. I just ordered a notebook computer with a wireless internet card. Since I live in a 3 story apartment and I am basically paranoid by nature, I have never gone wireless for security reasons. A good quality notebook computer, dragging a 50 ft Ethernet Cable around the apartment doesn't sound too appealing. So, what I would like to do is to keep the 2 desktops wired, and utilize those for very private information exchanges, but be able to use the notebook wirelessly. I don't know if there are multiple ways of doing such a thing, or no way at all. The only thing I can think of is to run a wireless router off the wired router. I suggested this to a friend who said that the configuration between the modem, 2 routers and 3 computers would be a connectivity nightmare. Please let me know if there is a way that I can accomplish this, without having to purchase another seperate broadband account. Thanks so much for your help

Rick

Angry Re: Mixing Wired and Wireless Internet

Come on Guys...217 views of this post and nobody knows how to do this? Please help me figure this thing out!!

Thanks,
    Rick

Default Re: Mixing Wired and Wireless Internet

I'm not sure I understand your dilemma... Just replace the wired router with a wireless one and hook the two desktops up to it. Wireless routers still have LAN ports for wired computers.

Question Re: Mixing Wired and Wireless Internet

Thanks for the info regarding the ability of the wireless router to handle both a wireless notebook as well as 2 wired computers. I have spent the last few hours researching the variuos routers and based on the customer reviews it seems like a crap shoot. Some people give a router a five star rating while others give it one star and throw it in the trash. The maker of my computers suggests netgear, but the reviews I have read about those are terrible. I guess after I decide which one to buy, (hopefully you guys can make some suggestions), then my only remaining question is my security concerns. If I have 2 wired computers and one wireless computer going through the same wireless router, doesn't that make the information going from the wired computers to the internet more vulnerable, because a wireless computer connected and online is also connected through that router? Sorry that I don't have a better understanding of this stuff. Thanks Again!!
    Rick

Default Re: Mixing Wired and Wireless Internet

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyb36
    Thanks for the info regarding the ability of the wireless router to handle both a wireless notebook as well as 2 wired computers. I have spent the last few hours researching the variuos routers and based on the customer reviews it seems like a crap shoot. Some people give a router a five star rating while others give it one star and throw it in the trash.
    Look at the overall rating, and look at the content. For example, this is my router with a PCMCIA card. The most recent low score is for something which is most-likely completely unrelated to the router itself. The second-most recent is both a stupid reason for a bad rating and likely not Netgears fault. In any case, I've been using that router for nearly a year and it works great. It replaced my Linksys because we needed something with better range and speed, and that's precisely what it provided.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunyb36
    If I have 2 wired computers and one wireless computer going through the same wireless router, doesn't that make the information going from the wired computers to the internet more vulnerable, because a wireless computer connected and online is also connected through that router? Sorry that I don't have a better understanding of this stuff. Thanks Again!!
    Rick
    More vulnerable then they are now? Yes, but not more vulnerable then if you attempted some nightmarish multi-router setup. With WPA and (if you don't have them already) software firewalls on all three machines, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Thread Information