Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Wireless Media Player???

Question Wireless Media Player???

im looking at wireless media players... and i was wondering if ther r any WIRED or Ethernet media players, that r hopefully cheaper. because i can easily run a cable ther.

any thoughts on the subject would be great!

Default Re: Wireless Media Player???

I don't believe there are any that are strictly wired. I know for sure D-Link only makes ones with an ethernet port and wireless adapter.

However, I would recommend using a wired connection even if you had wireless capabilities. In my experience the media comes in much smoother due to the extra bandwith.

is ther any way i can steam .avi files from my computer to my tv.

any way at ALL

*i ment any type of video file (not only .avi)

Yeah, that's basically what these media players do. I think they average about $250. I'm very fairly familar with D-Link's DSM models but I know Linksys also makes some.

Basically, you use a program on a computer to share media files. Then you use the media player on your TV to select those files and play them. It's streaming so bandwith is important. A wireless 802.11b connection (11 mbps) is very choppy and not even worth it. So make sure you're wired or at least connected at 54 mbps (802.11g).

The device usually comes with it's own software (D-Link uses something called medialounge) but other companies also produce similar sftware that allow you to play other file types (for example: Windows Media Connect by Microsoft let's you play Windows media files).

I know there was an issue several months ago where D-Link was being sued because their box claimed it played AVI files, but it really couldn't. I think this has been resolved, but don't quote me on that.

hmm... thanks 4 all ur help

Thread Information