Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Printer Sharing

Default Printer Sharing

g'day fella's

I've got our 3 pc's all hooked up to a D-Link router / cable Modem, I don't have them networked but what I would like to do is access the printer conected to the third pc with the first pc. Is there some sort of guide that will show me how to do this as I'm not very "technical minded".

thanks for you help.
    64/3500+ | Gigabyte K8NS Ultra 939 | Gainy 6800 GS golden sample using 71.20 and DX 90c| 1Gb Geil PC3200 | WD 120Gb 7200rpm 8mb buffer | XP Pro + SP1 | Pioneer DVD burner dual layer | Antec 480 watt truepower wrapped in a Enermax 710B case | Dell 21" Trinitron.....etc

Default Re: Printer Sharing

Run the XP network wizard and enable file and printer sharing on all machines, ensure they are in the same workgroup, then add the printer to your pc (start > settings > printers and faxes > add a printer, browse to the printer you wish to add.) At the very least the host pc (the one with the printer) and your pc should be in the same workgroup, if you require access to the printer for all machines you will need them all to be in the same workgroup.
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

slartibartfast

Sorry if this is too simplistic but I don't know exactly how non technical you are.

First, right click on "My Computer", go to "Properties" and then click on "Computer Name" tab and take a look at the "Workgroup" setting. If you didn't change it when installing it should be "WORKGROUP" on XP Pro computers and "MSHOME" on XP Home computers. Make sure of your PCs have the same workgroup (click on "change" to change the workgroup) and that they all have a unique name.

Next, make sure your router is set to act as dchp server (i am not familiar with Dlink settings so i couldn't tell you exactly where this is) and that all your computers are set to receive an IP address automatically (choose "Network Connections" from control panel, select your Network adapter's properties, highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" from the list, click "Properties" and you should see it). At this point i would recommend turning everything off including the router and turn things back on one by one starting with the router and waiting until each PC is ready to go before starting on the next.

Next, browse to your printer on the first pc, right click on it and select "Sharing" and give it a name (something simple with no spaces eg "laserprinter"). So long as all your PCs are the same OS you won't need additional drivers.

On the PC you want to access the printer from, go to "Printers and Faxes", "Add Printer", "Network Printer" and you should be able to browse to the printer. If not select the 1st box and type in "\\ {1st computer name} \ {printer name]" (eg \\computer1\laserprinter ). Youl should then see the printer listed with a kind of grey pipe underneath it.

Like I said, I am sorry if these are baby steps to you but if you follow them you should be away.

Nick<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_231683", true); </SCRIPT>

thanks guys!!! baby steps rock my world!!!!! ;)
    64/3500+ | Gigabyte K8NS Ultra 939 | Gainy 6800 GS golden sample using 71.20 and DX 90c| 1Gb Geil PC3200 | WD 120Gb 7200rpm 8mb buffer | XP Pro + SP1 | Pioneer DVD burner dual layer | Antec 480 watt truepower wrapped in a Enermax 710B case | Dell 21" Trinitron.....etc

can we assume everything is communicating now ?

not working yet but I'm still playing around with your instructions!!

Thread Information