Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: passed CCNA Exams

Default passed CCNA Exams

Just came back from testing centre after passing my CCNA exams . It was walk in the park really . I had Q&As from hotcerts.com which were very helpful and simulated real exams . They have a package offer going on these days which is highly recommended and very economical . Now iam off to doing my GMAT

2. Default Re: passed CCNA Exams

grats
    my view on the two party system...
    [img]http://www.dennisf.com/images/****banner.jpg[/img]

Default Re: passed CCNA Exams

Congrats. Did you do any actual coursework, or did you do entirely self-study? I got my A+ a few months ago with all self-study, and that was really easy. I figured I'd get Net+, but if CISCO isn't too hard I might skip it.

4. Default Re: passed CCNA Exams

Im about to dive into A+. Whats a good book/forum?
    my view on the two party system...
    [img]http://www.dennisf.com/images/****banner.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by ZeAliOuS
    Im about to dive into A+. Whats a good book/forum?
    Ive been thinking about this for a while too. I have some old book from when AGP had just hit the market. Other than that, I have not really done anything about it, nor have I found a place to take it here. I am also interested in the answer to this question.
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    I figured I'd get Net+, but if CISCO isn't too hard I might skip it.
    get both. Network+ is vendor neutral and and shows you know the fundamentals of networking regardless of who's hardware or operating system my be involved.

the CCNA is a more challenging exam, but it is also specific to the 'cisco way' of doing things. You really only need to get your CCNA (or better) if your career path involves working with Cisco hardware.

It's not unlike the Microsoft line of certs. If you specialize in UNIX/Linux, it's probably not necessary to get your MCSE.

Regardless of whether or not you get your CCNA, you should get Network+, if for no other reason than network+ doesn't expire, whereas CCNA expires every couple of years (as well as most vender specific certs). If you ever let your CCNA expire you'll have to start over from stratch. In otherwords, dont get your CCNA until you are ready to put it to work for you.

Having said all of that, I try to encourage people to get as many certs as possible, even if some overlap, whether or not you truly need them. This has the advantage of making your resume stand out and showing that you are a versatile IT professional able to do more than a specific task (job security). Did I mention that the more active certs you have the more valuable you are? For the uninitiated, this means a fatter pay check :-)

edit: on the matter of self-study for CCNA, I don't recommend it. Unlike Network+, you'll need some hands-on experience with Cisco hardware if you truly want to be successful. The "Cisco Networking Academy Program" is a series of 4 classes (offered at many, many tech schools and community colleges) that will not only prepare you for the CCNA but also give you the crucial hands-on experience you'll need when that cert lands you a job. There are a number of self-study kits available at bookstores that will help you get the correct answers, but that wont help you when someone tries to test your working knowledge during an interview. IMHO those self-study kits are better suited for those that already have their CCNA and are brushing up for their recert.

*btw, i think that first post is just an bot advert for hotcerts.com :-P
    Last edited by tuxfreak; 08-06-2006 at 06:07 AM.
    #

I think I'll just do Network+ and maybe some OEM certs. Right now I don't have the kind of credentials or experience necessary to get a job that would need CCNA. Most of my work right now will be better aided by HP/Dell/Gateway certs, which are super-cheap and probably easier than hell, especially given that I've actually had a lot of experience with big OEM hardware.

And I figured that it was probably just a spam thing, but I figured I'd throw that out there anyway.

What is the kind of pay you would get with that certification? Would the CCNT get you only like a job on the geek squad?
    "Death solves all problems; no man, no problem."
    -Joseph Stalin

geek squad?!

you are giving Best Buy far too much credit... an A+ cert alone will get you on the high end of the 'Geek Squad' pay scale

CCNA isn't a glamorous cert, but it could get you an extra couple K per year. In comparison, CCEI is a particularly valuable cert that could easily get you over $100k, or more, depending on what you specialize in
    #

I could probably make some money with Geek Squad, but on the other hand I'd say I have too much integrity to lower myself to its standards. Honestly, I did better work as an uncertified freelance technician than the more-experienced members of Geek Squad do on a regular basis. I've fixed problems over these very forums for free that Geek Squad caused at an outrageous hourly fee.

On the other hand, I could improve things and make some money on the side. Perhaps it's something to consider.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information