Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computers can't ping each other on network

Default Computers can't ping each other on network

I decided to create a home network to share a printer. I have 2pcs, 1 XP using ethernet and 1 98SE using wireless, and both have internet working properly. I created a network with the wizard and what not, and they can see each other in the network. Machine 98se can view the shared files on the xp machine, but the xp machine can't view shared files on 98se machine, even though it sees it in the network. I get this error when I try access the 98se machine "\\(98box) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
    The network path was not found." Both are using DHCP, and here are the IPs are 192.168.1.1 = router, 192.168.1.17 = XP, 192.168.1.16 = 98se. The 98se box can ping itself, the router, and the XP machine. The XP one can ping iteslf, the router, but no the 98box. Both don't use a password, and I've tried the XP box to change its name to the one on the 98box but I get an error saying that the name is already used on the network. I also tried getting both PCs to use single static IP, but I still couldn't ping the 98box. I have 128bit WEP encryption, hide SSID, and MAC address filtering on. I've tried turning MAC address filtering off but I still can't ping it. Both don't use a firewall when I try to network them, and the winXP SP1 firewall is off for Local Area Connection. My router has a firewall but when I turned it off I still couldn't ping the 98 box. I think I've tried just about everything Pretty much the only thing that I can think off that could be blocking the connection is that I somehow turned off a service needed to network in services.msc. Also, I read somewhere that you can check if net user guest is enabled in cmd in winxp, which it is on my xp machine. I tried the same command on the 98box, and it was an unrecognized command. Is there a similar command for win98se? And if I find out that it is disabled, what would be the command for turning it on?

EDIT: I forgot one thing, when I try to add a printer on the XP box, I get an error "Operation could not be complete.". The printer is connected to the 98se box since there's no room for it by my PC, and it works fine. But I want to print from my PC to that printer without running to the slooooow 98se box and acessing the shared files. My DHCP start adress on the router is 192.168.1.15 and the end adress is 192.168.1.17; the lease time is 1 day.
    Last edited by Eaglee; 04-23-2006 at 04:47 AM.
    ATI Radeon X800XL | AMD XP2800 | Nvidia Nforce 2 M7NCD | Corsair Twinx1024XL 1024mb RAM | Sea Gate ST3120022A 7200 RPM 120 gig Hard Drive | Audigy2 ZS

Default Re: Computers can't ping each other on network

Are both machines fully patched (minus SP2, which is unecessary) with Windows Update?

Does the 98SE machine have a network interface card? If so, can you test it without the wireless? I doubt the wireless would be a problem, but it's a good way to narrow things down.

Do you have access to any other computers that could be used for testing purposes? If not, how familiar are you with your router's setup page, specifically port forwarding? What kind (model # too) of router is it, by the way?

What sort of changes have you made in services.msc? Have you done any kind of tweaking (in this case, messing around with more advanced operating system settings or registry entries) to either computer?

I don't think it will fix it, but I'd highly recommend you use the unofficial 98SE service pack on the 98SE machine. It greatly increases, speed, stability, memory managment, and fixes a number of issues. It might even fix this problem (but again, don't get your hopes up).

They're not really upto date with the patches, but I never really had a need for them and honestly I doubt that an outdated OS will stop me from pinging it. The 98se machine is an old POS, so it doesn't have a NIC. I don't have any other computers here ATM, so can't really test anything else.

I'm pretty familiar with the router since I spent many hours configuring it last year for my online games. It's a Westell Versalink 327W which is a router/modem built into one and works pretty nicely. The 98se wireless adapter is a Linksys USB adapter, I forget what model it is.

I did do a bunch of tweaking on the XP machine primarly through this and other sites' tweak guides, but I don't think I messed around with the registry too much; just shutting down all the useless services. I might have disabled a few useful services by accident for all I know. The 98se machine is such a pain in the ass to use that I really don't feel like messing with it right now.
    Last edited by Eaglee; 04-23-2006 at 07:57 AM.
    ATI Radeon X800XL | AMD XP2800 | Nvidia Nforce 2 M7NCD | Corsair Twinx1024XL 1024mb RAM | Sea Gate ST3120022A 7200 RPM 120 gig Hard Drive | Audigy2 ZS

You should pretty much always install install the security updates. If you have Internet, you have a need for them.

What I'd like you to try is setting up a single forwarded port (any port) to your 98SE machine's IP. Then, open up a web browser on the 98SE machine and type in your external IP (found in the Router/Modem's status page) followed by the port. It will look like this:
    IP:PORT
    e.g. 55.12.125.225:80
    You should get a message saying that the "connection has been refused." Any other message would indicate that this is a global problem (one not limited to the other computer).
    Alternatively, you could just ping the 98SE machine with another computer.

If you get the described message, try it from the Windows XP machine. If you get the same message, it means the problem is only on that LAN. If you get a different message (most likely it will just time out and say so after quite a while), it's a problem specifically with the XP machine in general, and not restricted to this LAN.

If it's a problem with the XP machine, I'd almost bet you turned off something important on it. If it's restricted to the LAN, it might be something wrong with the router, but it still could be something wrong with either machine.

I get a The Page cannot be displayed error.

Unless you did something wrong, that would indicate that the 98SE machine has trouble responding to any kind of network requests. This can be kind of a hard problem to find (especially on 98, especially considering I haven't worked with in about six months) and fix. I'd suggest you try the service pack I linked to earlier. You should also try updating drivers for the wireless device as well as installing any important Windows Updates. I'll try to think of something else, but I can't remember the last time I saw a problem like this.

I installed Dial Up Networking 1.4 as recommended on another forum, which supposedly updates Winsock and TCP aswell.

I tried a laptop on this network (win2000) and it could see all computers, but could only acess the xp box. The xp box could acess the laptop and both can ping each other, but both see the 98 box but can't acess or ping it. The 98 box can ping all 3 comps, but can only acess the xp box. This leads me to believe that the problem lies with the 98se box. BTW, the laptop was connected with 108.11 G and the 98se box is with 108.11 B; both are Linksys USB adapters.

t works fine now. I can acess and ping the 98se box. However, I can't setup the bloody printer. Everytime I try to do it the xp box has a "searching for files" flash light animation, and it seems to go on forever. Maybe I'm just being impatient though... Is it supposed to take forever?

Perhaps on the 98se machine I need to add the printer that is already connected to it by USB as a network printer?

Right now I just right clicked on the printer, and then clicked on share as "name"... And when I acess the shared folders on that pc, I can see the printer (by the name that I specified in sharing). However the "add a printer" wizard just locks up when I browse to the printer and then select next. The rest of windows works fine while the wizard is locked up, but I end up having to restart the computer to close the wiazard. Then in printers I can see the shared printer, but it just says "opening" forever. The same happens if I choose connect to printer and click next, and then browse for it; or type in the name of the printer. I tried this on a Win2000 laptop and the same thing happened. When I go to print a file, I get this message "Windows cannot print due to a problem with the current printer setup".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information