Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DSL Connection Sharing

Get an old Pentium box with 2 network cards, and install a custom linux distro called Smoothwall on it. Its free, it will provide firewall + proxy + port forwarding and has bowser based management. Go to http://www.smoothwall.org to download the ISO - its only like 23megs!

OIh and it also acts as a dhcp server for ur network, and the proxy can be transparent so you don't have to set it on each client
    My Box:
    Intel Pentium 4 2.4C @ 2.7
    DFI 875P Lanparty
    512Mb Geil PC3500 Dual Channel (Cas 2-6-3-3 @450MHz DDR)
    Leadtek A280 Geforce4 4200 MyVIVO
    Audigy DE
    1 x 73Gb Seagate fibre channel 10krpm (boot drive) with LSI HBA
    1x80Gig Seagate Barracuda ATA V
    1x120Gig Western Digital 8mb cache
    Spiffy Antec Super Lanboy (LED fan and UV light)

If that's the route you wana go, why not use coyote linux, it is a router that fits on a floppy diskette.

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fragman
    Get an old Pentium box with 2 network cards, and install a custom linux distro called Smoothwall on it. Its free, it will provide firewall + proxy + port forwarding and has bowser based management. Go to http://www.smoothwall.org to download the ISO - its only like 23megs!

OIh and it also acts as a dhcp server for ur network, and the proxy can be transparent so you don't have to set it on each client
    Why go to all the effort?
    I'm just getting myself one of <a href="http://www.netgear.com.au/product_view.asp?xrp=4&yrp=12&zrp=93" target="_blank">these</a>...

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy

I'm just getting myself one of <a href="http://www.netgear.com.au/product_view.asp?xrp=4&yrp=12&zrp=93" target="_blank">these</a>...
    Either way, it doesn't really matter. I myself have installed RT314's before without problem as well as smoothwalls. The advantage of using smoothwall is you can use some crappy old hardware that's lying around to do it, and it proxies to reduce traffic. I'm just saying that why pay $300 odd dollars if you can do it for next to nothing?
    My Box:
    DFI 875P Lanparty
    Audigy DE

Beefy Guest

I know where you are coming from, and I partly agree. If you do have all the stuff sitting there, doing nothing, then go for it. But if you've only got a few parts, then you'll probably spend just as much time / effort / cash getting it up and running as you would with a dedicated router.

There's also other things to consider. Size / placement. Power needs. Whether or not you leave a monitor/keyboard/mouse connected. If not, then how do you change things later? go to all the effort of setting it all up again, just to change a couple settings?

I'm quite happy to pay a little more for something that offers me:

[list=a][*]Routing capabilities[*]a four port switch[*]DHCP[*]Basic NAT capabilities[*]Basic firewall capabilities[*]Basic logging capabilities[*]Is smaller than my existing modem[*]Doesn't require huge amounts of power[*]Can be easily configured from any PC on the network[/list=a]

Sure, Smoothwall / *insert other variant here* can do the same thing (probably better), but is it really necessary?

As for software, the "AnalogX Proxy" freeware software off tucows does a reasonable job, I have used it when the XP ICS is being a *****. It works well but its only problem is that you have to configure all email accounts inside the proxy software as well as on the clients.

http://tucows.ii.net/preview/195619.html
    My Box:
    DFI 875P Lanparty
    Audigy DE

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy

i don't need one of them, i got one of These :p :D

Quote Originally Posted by Andy

i don't need one of them, i got one of These :p :D
    I'm with ya there the RT314 is better
    My Box:
    DFI 875P Lanparty
    Audigy DE

Beefy Guest

True, it's a lot better.. but the one I'm getting does everything I want it to, with at least a $100 saving.... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tweak
    I have a question. We just got ADSL installed and it's working fine. However on our network, I can't seem to download email messages through Outlook Express and some sites don't seem to load on client PCs, although on the server they load fine. I'm using Windows XP ICS, does anyone have any suggestions for other programs I could use to share the Internet and cure these problems?

I've already tried WinRoute Lite.

Ive heard that adsl comunicates with different packet sizes then the standard network, and that you need to change your internal network to be running the same size packets the adsl
    "make something idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot...."

Help solve the gene mystery join us at the TweakTown Folding@home Team

A pub - ahh yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence, by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks. - taken from red dwarf

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information