Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: PC won't Recognize Switch-WHY?

Default PC won't Recognize Switch-WHY?

Problem:
    All the Connecting Hardware between the Network Switch and the PC are working fine, because if I plug the PC using the same cables into a HUB everything works fine. Infact I am USING the Problem computer right now as I type this wired Through a Hub. But the HUB is old, and now I am suspecting too many Data Collisions in the Hub with another Computer on the Network. I wanted to Clean things up and make everything work better so I had this old
    10/100 Fast Ethernet Switch, so I connected the Two Computers I wanted to use with it. One worked perfect, no problems at all. The other one acted like it could see the Switch (Cause if I unplugged the Cable it errored saying "Cable is unplugged") But it would not Communicate with the Switch. I Tried EVERYTHING! I tried using Windows Network Connection Wizzard, I tried using the Repair option to Locate a new IP address, I tried swapping the ports, I used the other GOOD Computer to test all the Ports on the Switch to make sure the Switch was good, and the other Computer could use every single Port. This Computer couldn't use ANY of them.

Then I tried Using the Cables of the other Computer with THIS computer thinking the Cables were Wired inverted and the Switch couldn't detect it because of that. That didn't work either.

What frustrates me the most is that Windows has all these Auto Detect Functions, Why can't it auto Detect it? I even Tried Swapping out Lan Cards thinking that the Lan card was somehow Mismatched with the Switch. STILL didn't work!

I don't understand. If Feels like a Software Problem not a Hardware Problem, but I don't know how to Mannually Configure this thing so it will work.
    I know all the hardware functions properly because I am USING it Right this Very Second! So I know it is not the Hardware. And there is nothing wrong with the Switch, because the other Computer running the same Motherboard and Chip set, (But a different Lan Card) can use every single port on the Switch and XP auto detects everything on THAT Computer, so WHY doesn't it detect it on MY Computer?

The only other difference between the two Systems is the Other Computer is Using AOL Software, and I do not have ANY AOL Software on This Computer. Could THAT make a Difference? We are using Cable Modem wired to the Switch, or presently to the Hub (which I want to Trash as soon as Possible) and I want to Run everything through the Switch.

When Windows Tries to Search for the Switch, it returns an Error that Reads 80 Packets Sent 0 received. If that helps. The Lights on the Lan Adapter Card AND on the Switch Blink like they are Sending and Receiving Data but Windows isn't getting it for some reason. How do I fix this?

I Talke to one Network Guy on the Phone, he suggested Trying to Manually Configure the IP address. But I don't know what the Numbers are for the Switch, or Where to put the Numbers in XP. Windows has all this Auto Detect stuff, but then it won't detect? Why? What Causes this?

Default Re: PC won't Recognize Switch-WHY?

Maybe the AOL is doing it, or the cable is only working one way, or your setting allowes only sending packets not recieving them.
    "Death solves all problems; no man, no problem."
    -Joseph Stalin

First of all, uninstall any AOL software. If it's not causing any problems now, it probably will at some point. It's bloated, useless, and buggy. I can't think of one good reason for anyone to use it.

Secondly, we'll need more information about your network hardware. Do you have a router? What kind of switch are you using? What kind of hub were you using? Is it just two computers on your network sharing a cable connection?

Nice AOL bashing Yawgm0th!!! I think it might have been that AOL was not running in the other comp so AOL said "Hey man, I am only talking to AOL, I am Monogomous" Unlike Firefox which is like "I'm married to everyone!"
    "Death solves all problems; no man, no problem."
    -Joseph Stalin

Thread Information