Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Switch Problem!

Question Switch Problem!

Hello I am new to this and need some help. I have a netwrok with about 30 clients and one file server. A few days back I noticed all the lights on my network swtich (3Com) (link/activity lights) started to blink really fast, all the lights were blinking at the same time in the same sequence and it was rly fast. During this time my network was very slow. I unpluged the power from my hud and left it for a minute then plugged it back in and it came up back fine and in normal working order. A few days later I got the same problem. What does this mean??? Is my swtich failing???
    Hope to get some quick answers!!
    Thanks

Default Re: Switch Problem!

It could be an issue with the switch, which is fine because even a large switch is a cheap replacement that doesn't really need a technician to install. However, it could be that something is happening network-wide that causes all of the network machines to access something (possibly the Internet, possibly the file server, possibly each other). There's not much I can do from here to say what could cause something like that, but I'd say it's more likely a hardware issue.

I agree with Yawg on this one. I'd make sure there are no looping patch cables. This usualy overloads a switch in a very short time period though, so I doubt that is the problem.

Are you using Cat5 networking or something older like IBM Tolkien ring.
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

If he's using tolkein ring or pretty much any non-ethernet network then I'd just tell him to upgrade. There several types that use to be popular, but as far as I'm concerned switches and routers with either RJ-45 or fiber are the only way to go, and anything else is so outdated it ought to just be upgraded.

Thread Information