Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Problem getting online

Default Problem getting online

I'm having an aweful time trying to get onto the internet with my new computer. It has an MSI 975 Platinum motherboard and I'm using a D-Link 302G modem. The modem is working perfectly on my other computer but as soon as I plug it into the new one, I get the message that "A network cable is disconected". I'm sure that all of the appropriate drivers are installed. Any thoughts would be really appreciated.

Default Re: Problem getting online

You're using a CAT5 or CAT6 cable to connect your motherboard's onboard ethernet adapter into your ADSL modem, correct? You're not trying to use USB, are you? If you plug in the CAT5 to the modem, you should get lights on the board's ethernet port as well as on the modem, and you certainly shouldn't get that message in Windows.

Actually I was trying to use the USB cable. I switched over to the CAT5 cable and now it works fine - thanks for your help. Any ideas why the USB cable wouldn't work?

You probably need software that came with the modem to make it work. USB is not really meant for networking.

Thread Information