Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old School Gaming

Default Old School Gaming

Hi, ive just found a copy of Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge and thought well lets see if it will still work.. And it did, the game runs fine... Now i have 4pc's in my house and i wanted to play a Lan game but the problem is that RA2 and YR requires a IPX connection and evertime i install the IPX protocol the internet stops responding and nothink can connect to the internet... Then i have to restore the settings for everythink to work.. Is there a program that emulates IPX over TCP/IP connection so i can play lan or is there a patch for the game so it will run a lan game over TCP/IP...

Note.. I did some research and found out that IPX no longer works with any internet apps (how slow am i)

Default Re: Old School Gaming

IPX is an older protocol used for Novell networks, back when much of the business world was based around Novell. Definitely won't work for you.

I'd google and grab the latest patch. I'm pretty sure there would be a patch for TCP networking, because it was commonly played online on broadband connections from TCP networks back in the day. I know I never had any problems when I played it over a cable Internet connection based on TCP.

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th View Post
    IPX is an older protocol used for Novell networks, back when much of the business world was based around Novell. Definitely won't work for you.

I'd google and grab the latest patch. I'm pretty sure there would be a patch for TCP networking, because it was commonly played online on broadband connections from TCP networks back in the day. I know I never had any problems when I played it over a cable Internet connection based on TCP.
    Well i searched around for a game patch for RA2 and but it didnt update any Lan settings, I found out that Westwood online didnt like ppl creating there own internet servers so the game only support IPX

you should be able to run both protocols at the same time, ipx shouldn't knock out your internet

there is a program out there that will let you play IPX games over the internet - can't remember whats its called thou - sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Kheldar View Post
    you should be able to run both protocols at the same time, ipx shouldn't knock out your internet

there is a program out there that will let you play IPX games over the internet - can't remember whats its called thou - sorry
    Well all my pc's are connected through a wireless router and so i dont think my router supports IPX...

Also how do u config IPX... eg. network address, and network type (802.2, 803.2, Ethernet II)

And i know the program u are talking about its called Kali.. But you have to pay for it :(

um shouldn't have to configure it, your router probably doesn't support IPX
    you'll need netbios installed as well

I'm sure I found a freebie a while back - maybe its been "acquired"

Hi im new to youre forum , I recentley dug out a copy "dune2000" wonderfull game . have had no problems playing lan games around the house, going through router, all protocols installed , but i want to play my friend who has the same game but lives in another part of the countrie. Im using himachi to emulate a network . i can drop files etc to his machine and he can do the same, but no luck in joing me in the dune2000 lobby for multi play . We are both running the same version dune and himachi , any help would be appreciated:) . thanks

I've never used himachi but the first thing i'd do is download the extended defence smoothie iso (its in the forums on the smoothwall site), grab 2 old pc's and setup smoothie as your firewalls.

Then you can create dynamic VPN'S (ie vpn's when you both have dynamic ip addresses)

once you've got the vpn going, then you should be able to connect - we've used this in the past to play those style of games (ie old ones)

Thumbs up Re: Old School Gaming

Thanks for the reply , i have no problems connecting round the house (dune lan play ) its just when i want to play against my friend who lives in another part of the countrie.Thanks again for the swift reply

well the problem with that is your not on the same network and hopefully you both have firewalls in place (otherwise your PC's will be compromised).

hamachi looks like its designed to get around this, unfortunately I've never used it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information