Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dumb Internet....

Default Dumb Internet....

Hey everyone. Okay, all of a sudden, like overnight, my compter is just going slow. When I get online, it's VERY slow, and sometimes, pictures don't show up, until I check the box saying to show them in tools>internet options> advanced. THEN sometimes, when I click on the internet explorer icon on my desktop or start menu or anywhere, the window opens up for about two seconds, then disappears. After about an hour, it'l work, but then stop.

AND every 15 minutes or so, even when I'm not even online, a message from Norton pops up and says 'unable to send your e-mail' and then sometimes a thing pops up and says 'scanning outgoing e-mail' even though I'm not even on! What's wrong with my computer? :(

thank for the help

2. Default Re: Dumb Internet....

It REALLY sounds like you have a virus. The whole email thing is a key indicator. I suggest installing AVG Antivirus and running a sweep.

Default Re: Dumb Internet....

AVG Antivirus.... is it free? I'll go check it out. Thanks... Now my instant messenger is doing the same. I hope it works! Wish me luck!

Yeah AVG is a free download for personal use. Download it at: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng...nti-virus-free

Otherwise I would recommend AOL Anti-Virus, which is also a free download, an excellent program, I have only just started using it and within 5mins of installing it, it found 3 Trojans on my pc that PC-cillain and Norton 360 both missed.

Get AOL Anti-Virus at: http://www.activevirusshield.com/antivirus/freeav/

Good luck!!!
    BRING IT ON!!!!

Most of us tend to stay away from AOL anything. They may be better than they used to be but for a long time they were a great source of bloatware. Not saying their antivirus has a problem since I have no experience with it. AVG is always my first choice. Avast is another free antivirus that I've used with good sucess in the past. A2 is another option for finding and killing trojans and assorted other malware. http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Well, I downloaded AVG, and I didn't have a virus.....I had 25! Yeah! All of them are gone, and everything is working properly.

Thanks for the help everyone! Whoo-Hoo!

......my my freakin' camera still doesn't work. :(

-Matt

According to "PC Magazine Philippines" article Maximum Security, you must have at least 1 firewall (I use ZoneAlarm Free), An antispyware scanner (I use Spybot S&D, free) An AntiVirus Scanner (I use AVG free and Asquared free) and update your copy of Windows XP. Make sure you update your scanners once a week. New viruses are created everyday they say, so update regularly. Out of date antivirus protection is no protection at all!

P.S: They say installing more than 1 firewall may cause instability on your net connection, so turn off the Windows "Stock" Firewall and uninstall your Norton before laying down the ZoneAlarm.
    Last edited by Aguiluz; 06-09-2007 at 12:12 PM. Reason: forgot 3 words

AOL anything = THE DEVIL and the worst thing to do to your PC.

NORTON = WORSE THAN THE DEVIL and just plain sucks at anything. Gives you a false sense of security

AVGFREE = the best free antivirus out there.

Windows XP Firewall has never once let me down. It all depends on where you take your PC online as to the risks you take. Stop going to bad places on the web and you'll never get a virus. Don't open email attachments that you don't know exactly where they came from, even if they were sent by someone you know.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

all virus checkers get pretty much 99.99% of virus so free is really good, avast also works well

the windows updates are probably more important than having a virus checker (which is still bloody important)

you'll also need a couple of antispyware proggies as well, i've found windows defender pretty good at keeping them out not so good at removing.

No, most virus checkers do not work nearly as well as that. In fact, it has been proven time and time again that Norton and McAfee are among the worst and they rarely break the 80% detection mark. Never mind the system resources/conflicts they cause. AVGFree and Avast are the 2 best free out there. You can pay for one, but it won't beat those 2 ever.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information