Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Notebooks losing internet connectivity after a while

Default Notebooks losing internet connectivity after a while

I have 3 Windows XP notebooks in the house and they ALL eventually lose the ability to connect to the internet.

The router settings allow them to connect 24/7, but after an hour or two of being up and running in a cool area with plenty of ventilation (I left them sitting there for a while just to see if this happens again), they all develop the same problem.

Even when I disable Zone Alarm, they can't get online (they can't reach the DNS server to look up a site, and they can't traceroute past the router/gateway). But they can get to the router (192.168.x.x) just fine. They can also access disk shares on other computers and VNC to their terminals. Even when I disable the wireless and put the notebooks on a network cable, the problem persists. If I have a notebook's wireless system off and I have it on the network cable all along, it still develops the problem.

I have no screen savers or timers or any of that on these laptops. Argh!

Meanwhile, my desktop machines don't have this problem. My laptops don't have this problem AT ALL when in Linux.

How might I fix this? Do I need to remove and reinstall the Windows XP TCP/IP stack? If so, how?

Default Re: Notebooks losing internet connectivity after a while

Eventually? As in 3 lappies losing the connection all at once at the same time? Maybe your router is in trouble.

upgrade the firmware on router and since all 3 have the same problem - i'd blame the router - next time it fails - reboot your router and see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by Aguiluz View Post
    Eventually? As in 3 lappies losing the connection all at once at the same time? Maybe your router is in trouble.
    Argh. I went another route, I brought in a different router. Same problem.

ETA: the new one is a D-Link DI-634M, reset to factory settings and fully patched up.
    Last edited by raveolution; 12-08-2007 at 08:37 PM.

set your dns manually (ipconfig /all to work out your isp's dns server)

and put in another providers dns server eg 203.12.160.35 (tpg's dns server)

so you'd have 2 dns servers (i have four assigned by my dhcp server but my firewall is more adavnce than yours - its in my sig)

if its just a dns failure this should fix it

Thread Information