Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Help With Picking Out A Wirless Card For PC?

Question Help With Picking Out A Wirless Card For PC?

Hopefully you guys can help me, because I don't know squat about this. I just built a new PC and I want to give my old one to my mom to use (ASUS P4P800, P4 2.4GHz, Windows XP Home). This will be put in a room just off the living room in their house. In my niece's bedroom (which is one room away) she has a Linksys router (I believe it's a WRT54G). My niece has agreed to set everything up herself because she doesn't want anyone messing with her computer. Fine. Whatever. Less headaches for me.

My dilemma is in choosing a wireless card for the PC. What do I need for this? I started looking around but the terminology has me completely lost. There will be a wall between the room the PC is in and my niece's router. Will that be an issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Default Re: Help With Picking Out A Wirless Card For PC?

I am using the GS series of that router and have no problems. I use it with my laptop all over the house and don't have any issues with walls. As far as wireless cards, I haven't heard there is any big issues with any of them. Just make sure it is compatible with the standards used by your router, which I believe will be 802.11G, While there are several cards out there (more expensive too) that support the newer 802.11N standard, you won;t need it since your router does not support it. Also of note is that I believe there are still two standards of N vying for dominance, kinda like the BluRay vs HD-DVD wars being fought in a video arena.

Good luck. It should be a pretty simple and straightforward setup.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

I'm thinking of getting this Edimax card. It gets some good reviews.

the ones with external antenna's are better

the one you've picked should be ok (should be very nice actually)

Thread Information