Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dial up...i'm as dissapointed as you are.

Exclamation Dial up...i'm as dissapointed as you are.

I am in the middle of nowhere...Now the only option I have is dial-up.
    I am used to hi-speed cable...

What can I do to get this horrible excuse for internet to speed up?

What makes one 56k modem stand out from another?

I am currently checking on my line quality from the phone box to my computer, but does anyone know how much effect it could have if I run a brand new dedicated line for my computer?

Any suggestions would be very appriciated...I am borderline suicidal when waiting on downloads...

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Dial up...i'm as dissapointed as you are.

Coming from cable, you can do NOTHING to speed it up. I laid new lines for mine once, no effect

Live with it is all you can do, why do you have to use it now?

dsl is the onley thing available...Thats pretty expensive, RIGHT?...

NO!

That is usually cheaper then dial up once you add a extra line, but in general DSL is normally about $5 or $10 more then dial up access. What rates I know, dial up service is usually $15-20, dsl is usually $20-25

Get you some DSL for sure before you go crazy. Now there is Different DSL plans normally with the faster ones yes being more expensive of course, but a normal dsl plan is generally around the same, sometimes often cheaper then dial up

For example >>>
    Verizon | Verizon High Speed Internet Plans
    Verizon DSL Review & Comments Of Features and Rates

Here you can look up some more once you put in your address
    Real-time Indiana DSL Rate Quotes and Availability

But yeah, about the same if not cheaper for sure, and DEFINITELY Worth it over dial up anyday

Just remember that prices vary wildly from country to country. It depends on where you live.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

He lives in Indiana US, that is why I linked him to a Indiana DSL quote place. But he would likely get the best deal thru Verizon there anyway

thanks for the links, the prices arn't as bad as I thought.
    I must apologize though, I said DSL, but I was referring to was internet via sattalite dish.
    Such as HughesNet which on of the links you posted for me referred me to.

There isn't any fiber ran anywhere near my house so I gess the phone lines will not support the DSL based data.

Not too sure, but thanks alot!

While I gotcha take a look at the stats on what is available:
    Download Speed:
    Up to 700 kbps Upload Speed:
    Up to 128 kbps Equipment Type:
    .74 Ka antenna with HN9000 Installation Type:
    Professional Required
    Email Accounts:
    IP Address Type:
    Dynamic (NAT) Contract Term:
    24 months Early Termination Fee:
    No termination fee if order is canceled before installation
    Cancel within 30 days of activation - $200 refund for returned equipment, $0 service termination fee and no refund of installation fee. No refund for equipment, $300 service termination fee.
    Disclaimer:
    Stated speeds are not guaranteed. Actual upload speed will likely be lower than speed indicated during peak hours. Download speeds may also be temporarily slowed in cases when patterns of system usage exceed the download threshold (200 MB) for an extended period of time. If you choose to run VPN over satellite, your data speeds may be reduced by as much as 50-75%. Despite the high speeds, time sensitive applications, such as multi-player “twitch” games, are also not recommended over HughesNet.

Everyone I know that ever tried satellite internet, including a friend currently in Indiana, strongly suggest to AVOID it at all costs. It is unreliable and just plain expensive. I personally would just force myself to like dialup. What I would do is get a dedicated phone line just for internet so you can just stay connected 24/7 without interrupting your phones. This way you can download/upload large files overnight or when you are not on your PC as well.

With those speeds listed and the restrictions, you won't get much more speed in real world use for the money. I am sure you can find dirt cheap dial up, even here in Canada I can find it for $10 a month and that also included speed up software. Make sure you get a really good modem, whether it is PCI or USB. They are cheap enough.

I am sorry to hear your predicament. I too will almost certainly be on dialup in the near future as massive personal changes are going to pretty much take away the money now spent on luxuries such as high speed internet. Dial up works well, it is just painfully slow for downloading stuff. As I said, just get a second phone line, I know I will be.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

I use Hughesnet, and it is ok. Way better then dial up. But is VERY expensive to get. you have to either pay up front ($500 or so If I remember right) for the dish/equipment or make a larger monthly payment for a long time. And you MUST Do your downloads at night, because if you hit FAP (Which is what it is called when you go over your 24 hour limit) you WILL be on 2 kb/sec for 24 Hours. WAY SLOWER THEN DIAL UP, pretty much Unusable..... So just be warned

As for speeds, I am on the PRO plan, and I can download a 700MB movie in about 13 minutes, which would take a week on Dial up. But as said above, yes it is Expensive.

If you do not have to Download large amounts of Data then stick with Dial up. If you do have to download large files and you get Hughes BE SURE you do your downloading between 3-6 AM EST, otherwise you will hit FAP (Fair Access Policy) before you know it, and that SUCKS BAD...... FOR 24 HOURS!!!!

Here is some reading for ya about Hughes it is the forum I go to to complain/get info about it >>>
    HughesNet Satellite forum - dslreports.com broadband community

They do help/let you keep track kinda of your download and Uploads, which is also counted against you. Usually a hour or so behind is all. but good to keep track of and look at incase you need a larger file during the non free 3-6AM time period >>>
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 06-28-2008 at 02:01 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information