Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the lenght limit for a cat5 cable?

Quote Originally Posted by sKuLLsHoT
    cat5e is capable Gb over copper, thats the main difference, u can get aaway with it on standard, but the loss-levels on 5e are way lower.

That's in theory - most CAT5E installations will run fine with gigabit network cards (when they become commonplace), but to be 100% sure you really need to use CAT6 for gigabit (whenever the standard is finalised.....)

Aren't they up to Draft 14 of the CAT6 standard now? :?:

Beefy Guest

they are working on Cat7 too, aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Albinus

That's in theory - most CAT5E installations will run fine with gigabit network cards (when they become commonplace), but to be 100% sure you really need to use CAT6 for gigabit (whenever the standard is finalised.....)

Aren't they up to Draft 14 of the CAT6 standard now? :?:
    so the ppl using cat5e for Gb are damned...?

hehe j/k no idea of length limit of cat5e when used for Gb eth, any1 know?
    sKuLLsHoT
    www.morb.ath.cx

Default Re: What's the lenght limit for a cat5 cable?

cat5e is capable Gb over copper.
    But the loss-levels on 5e are way lower.Its recommended that a CAT5 UTP cable not exceed 100 metres.
    You will need a signal repeater of some sort and then an additional cable if you want to go further than that.

Jack John

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

At my previous work I was using CAT5 over about 100mtrs and it was working fine - no dropouts and speed fine - this was just with regular Netgear switches at either end as well.

What's the length limit for a cat5 cable? I made a straight-through cable which is more than 100' in length, possibly 200'. When I connect it to the PC and the router, the lights on the ethernet card and the router turns on like it should, but I can't gain access to the router's setup page. I'm guessing it's because the cable is too long and that the integrity of the signal is weakend due to the length. I made another cable of length 6' and everything worked fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information