Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: network adapter problems-compaq presario

Default network adapter problems-compaq presario

I am having a problem with devices and drivers after a clean install of windows xp home, especially the network adapter in device manager, if you think that you may be able to give advice or help in any way please read on...and thanks!

computer in question:

* Compaq Presario SR1620NX
    * Product #EG733AA
    * Chipset: ATI Radeon Xpress 200
    * Motherboard: MSI (MS-7184)
    * Network: Integrated 10/100 Base-T Networking Interface

user in question:

* intermediate knowledge of windows xp
    * not dumb
    * not afraid of the registry
    * obviously have working computer to post this, downloads are ok

OK, to the start...I bought a used Compaq Presario. The harddrive was corrupt and would not hold xp or work in general. I installed a harddrive I had and then did a clean install of windows xp from a legit disk. Windows runs fine but I am having some problems within the device manager. At first there was no "network adapters" showing in the DM at all. I bought a Dynex E102 10/100 Network card, physically installed it and then installed the driver for it. It still did not show up in the DM. I then manually installed the hardware through the Add Hardware wizard, it then showed up in the DM but with an error of "cannot start(code 10)" which I know is a generically rendered error message.
    I have downloaded and installed all of the most recent drivers from the Dynex site, but it still will not start. I have also uninstalled both hardware and drivers and re-installed both in different orders.
    I also first downloaded and installed the chipset drivers from HP site for this series of computers.

on the Device manager:

the following have yellow exclamation points beside them

* VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    ( I believe this is for peripherals such as USB)
    !! shows "not enough resources error (code 12) !!
    * PCI Simple Communications Controller
    ( dial-up modems?)
    * Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

Whe the Network adapter does show after I manually install it through DM it shows the ambiguous code 10 error.

No I do not have a recovery disk or a driver disk...just a authentic xp disk and the ability to download onto removable and transfer to the really big paper weight.
    Any help of advice or links that you could provide would be greatly appreciated as I am 42 years old and do not have a lot of hair left to pull out.

Thanks for your time,
    Jared
    Last edited by Eagle1388; 08-03-2008 at 05:32 AM. Reason: just spelling

Thread Information