Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: connectivity problem over wifi

Default connectivity problem over wifi

I have a pci wireless network adapter (linksys wmp54g), when I use it instead of an ethernet cable to connect to my router internet browsers, and some other internet apps, cannot connect to the internet. From memory uTorrent and ventrilo work without a problem while browsers (tried firefox and IE) and MSN messenger cannot connect at all. Everything works fine over wired.

This problem only seems to affect my desktop, my laptop has no problem with any internet apps over wireless!

thanks for any help.

Default Re: connectivity problem over wifi

I am by no means a wireless guru, but the first thing to check is that your wireless router has enough channels. Most of them have only one so a connection that actually assigns your desktop an IP address may be lacking. From there, I'll let others who have more info on this topic help you out.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Since your laptop wireless works and not your desktop it sounds to me like you do not have the desktop network configured correctly to include both wired and wireless networks. And then enable the wireless one when you are not plugged in.

It would need to be 2 separate connections in your My Network area. Like shown below, similrly you would need a wireless one, and a Local area Connection one for the wired one. >>>

How do you have this setup as of now?

Also, please see here to get newest drivers and setup info and see if it is fully compatible with your router >>>
    www.linksys.com/easy

And here if you are using vista on either system >>>
    www.linksys.com/vista

You may also need to go to your router login page and setup things so your PC is allowed to wirelessly connect >>>
    Configuring a Linksys Router
    How do I setup a Linksys router?
    And this page may help you as well >>
    PortForward.com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or Firewall

I am not a network guru either so My advice may be of no help, but I think you just have things configured wrong. As I have had similar issues that I worked out with some googling and hard work. You will get it!

I do pick up an IP address when in wireless when I look in network connections, and the computer does show up on routers UI (whatever its called, shows up when you type the default gateway into a browsers url).

I have a relatively new d-link xtreme n router (dir-655).

Lsdmeasap, I am not interested in having the wired and wireless configured together as my goal is to get rid of the cable. However, when I boot up with wireless and wired enabled, my computer defaults to the ethernet connection.

When I boot with only the ethernet cable, everything works fine. Booting with just wireless only some internet applications seem to work, which is the part the confuses me since it shows that I am connected to the internet and the network but only on some applications. I've tried both the latest official linksys drivers for my adapter as well as the ralink drivers (chip manufacturer for the adapter), and have the router drivers updated as well.

Ahh sorry about the linksys router info then!

So, you can get a IP just no connections? Hmm that sounds very strange

Have you tried a IP and DNS flush>

Restart your modem or do a IP/Flush >>>

1. Clear your browser cookies.
    2. Open the command prompt (Start - Run - cmd.exe)
    3. Run the following simple commands:
    ipconfig /flushdns
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew
    4. Type exit to close the DOS window.

You may want/need to also Flush DNS cache >>>
    ipconfig /flushdns

Hmm well I would start then by removing/disabling/deleting the wired one, and you may also want to delete the wireless one you have now and try it all again from scratch

You do have the correct wireless key and SSID entered in the connection properties correct?

I tried the flushing, did nothing, connection remains as before.

I double checked the ssid and key, both of which are correct.

Can't delete the connections under network connections: "The connection you selected cannot be deleted"

Also, forgot to mention, in a browser I can access https sites, just not http.

Hmm well that sounds like you have something set incorrect in your Control panel, internet options, connections Tab set wrong. That or something in the wireless settings in your router config.

Not sure really, as I said I am no Network Guru. Wish I could be of more help

Have you reset the modem? Does your ISP give you a Static IP? If so you may need to set that up in internet connections as your proxy as well

ya, tried resetting the modem and the router, and I do have a static IP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information