Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basic home networking: win98 and winxp

Interesting that Steve Gibson doesn't have any info on rebinding in XP. I've always used it in 9x as a quick and cheap security measure.....works nicely too.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Quote Originally Posted by [size=6
    Yohhan[/size]]
    I'd like to know how to setup NetBEUI though, just for the know how.
    It's actually on the XP CD but I can't remember the exact place off hand but it is a big security risk which is why it was dropped from sight. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Wiggo: NetBEUI was a big security risk? I thought it was a potential security risk to run tcpip on your LAN. Do you know what the problem with NetBEUI was?

Mr. C: Know of a site that will show me how to rebind XP? A little disappointed myself that Steve Gibson doesn't have anything up. I used his site a lot for 98.

On a side note, I also read somewhere that sharing a printer gives read-only access to to the WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder on win9x machines. Is there anyway to get rid of this share?

Thanks for the help everyone.

to get local security policy editor up, go to the run prompt and type "secpol.msc" (c:\winsows\system32\secpol.msc) and run that.

the share that they talk about is $print that is created from the windows machine, afaik that isnt the system folder but rather the print driver folder within the system folder
    sKuLLsHoT
    www.morb.ath.cx

also if u log in to the 98 box as administrator
    reboot
    u will see the 2 puter start talking

this way u dont have to run no wizard, no mapped drives

easy as XP networking--

Lata

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information