Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basic home networking: win98 and winxp

A few networking questions. Hopefully they're fairly simple to answer.

I have two computers networked at home, one running Win98, and the other running Winxp. They're both connected to a Linksys hub/router which connects to my cable modem, allowing access to the internet.

My questions...

What is "mapping" a network drive? Does that make a hard drive on one computer accessible to all others on the network, ie: a network drive? Also, if I map a network drive on one computer, will it just appear as a new drive on the other system (how do I access it)? I have tried to allow access to files between the two systems, but it doesn't seem to be working. I've given each system a unique computer ID, and the same group ID.

Secondly, the win98 system has a printer that I'd like to use from the XP machine in the other room as well. How can I share the printer with both machines?

Any direct help or online reading would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Yohhan
    What is "mapping" a network drive? Does that make a hard drive on one computer accessible to all others on the network, ie: a network drive?
    Mapping a network drive simply allocates a drive letter to a shared folder on another computer. For example, if you share a folder called 'Pictures' on PC #1, on PC #2 you can map a drive (F: for example), and that will take you straight to the 'Pictures' folder on the other computer.

Also, if I map a network drive on one computer, will it just appear as a new drive on the other system (how do I access it)? I have tried to allow access to files between the two systems, but it doesn't seem to be working. I've given each system a unique computer ID, and the same group ID. Secondly, the win98 system has a printer that I'd like to use from the XP machine in the other room as well. How can I share the printer with both machines?
    When you map a drive, you map a drive on the other computer and the mapping happens on your computer. To map something, you first need to set up file sharing, which can be done in the Network properties. This is also where you set up printer sharing.

Once you've activated File and Printer sharing, then you simply go to the folder / printer you want to share, and set up your sharing. I'm assuming that your computers can actually communicate to each other too. Hope this makes some sense.

Actually they can't communicate:(

I've run the winxp network setup wizard on both systems (put it on disk for the win98 machine the setup said to do so). When I try to view the entire network on the win98 machine, it gives me an error saying it's inaccessible.

Both machines can access the internet fine behind my BEFSR41 linksys router, and both IP's appear in the dhcp clients table.

Beefy Guest

Can you ping from machine to machine?

Yes, I'm able to ping the other machine.

Bit of an update...

When I go to add a network printer, I can see the network now (when I click 'browse'), however no printer name shows up to add, and neither do the computer names. It just shows the workgroup "home". I also tried sharing a folder "downloads" on the win98 machine, and then accessing it from the xp machine like this: \\Kitchen\downloads\

Kitchen being the name of the other computer. It gave me an error in network path. Is the above incorrect, or is my network just not functioning?

Beefy Guest

Without being near an XP machine, i'm going from memory here, so bear with me... Firstly, i'm assuming that you've only got TCP/IP installed as your network protocol. You don't need IPX or NetBEUI, so if you've got them, get rid of them. Secondly, check out Tweak #5 <a href="http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide&dId=145&dPage=3" target="_blank">here</a>. Sometimes that has an effect on things too. OK, now, try this:

On the XP machine, firstly ping the Win 9x mahcine, then go into My Network Places and click on 'View workgroup computers' on the left-hand menu. You should see at least your own computer there, and there should be the win9x machine too. Let me know what you can / can't see.

got it working! I can print now and have mapped drives on both comps. Thanks!:-) Couple random questions for ya though...

How can I delete a mapped drive? I can create one and then I can't get rid of it.

Also, when I went to Tweak #5, I noticed that i didn't have a "Local Security Settings" under Administrative Tools. Is that because I'm using XP Professional?

Also, I remember reading something at www.grc.com talking about the security holes left by microsoft in their local networking setup. Right now TCP/IP is bound to the network card and file printer sharing. I read something about it being better to use NetBeui (sp?) within the network as opposed to tcpip? Anyways my question is, it is a big deal to do this for security reasons? Because while I could go back and read the instructions on how to do it with win98, I have no idea how to set it up with winxp. The "Local Area Connection Properties" doesn't seem to let me bind protocols the way win98 did.

Appreciate the help.

Beefy Guest

I haven't verified these, but they should be as follows:

[B]How can I delete a mapped drive? I can create one and then I can't get rid of it.
    If you right click on the drive, you should see a 'Disconnect' option or something similar.

[b]Also, when I went to Tweak #5, I noticed that i didn't have a "Local Security Settings" under Administrative Tools. Is that because I'm using XP Professional?
    As far as I know (it works in Win2000), if you go to 'Run - gpedit.msc' it will bring up the Group Policy window. Then you simply go to Computer Configuration - Windows Settings - Security Settings and things should start looking like the picture in the tweak.

[b]Also, I remember reading something at www.grc.com talking about the security holes left by microsoft in their local networking setup. Right now TCP/IP is bound to the network card and file printer sharing. I read something about it being better to use NetBeui (sp?) within the network as opposed to tcpip? Anyways my question is, it is a big deal to do this for security reasons? Because while I could go back and read the instructions on how to do it with win98, I have no idea how to set it up with winxp. The "Local Area Connection Properties" doesn't seem to let me bind protocols the way win98 did.
    On a personal note, I simply avoid NetBEUI like the plague. It annoys me and it's useless. However, if find a valid reason to use it, then go ahead. Again, without an XP machine in front of me, I'm not entirely sure how to set up NetBEUI. If you still want to know how, i'll let you know tonight, but i'd stick with TCP/IP myself. MS's local networking isn't really that bad, as long as you stop file-sharing from working over your internet connection.

No luck with gpedit.msc, but it's not a big deal now that everything is functional.

I'd like to know how to setup NetBEUI though, just for the know how.

Regarding blocking file-sharing over the internet... how can I be sure that my system isn't doing that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information