Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: XP Reporting DSL at 4.0 Mbps

This is a confusing thing for me....

I current have a DSL connection that Windows XP reports is connecting at 4.0 Mbps, which would be 4000Kbps, isn't that right?

Well, the website for my DSL company reports connections up to 512Kbps, which would be 0.512Mbps.

Is Windows XP reporting this incorrectly? I'm trying to decide if switching to Cable is a good idea, but they only offer a speed of 1.5 Mbps. What on earth is going on here?

Any help would be appreciated.
    <Font size=2>"The demand to restrict technology is the demand to restrict man's mind" -- Ayn Rand
    <a style="text-decoration: none" href="http://www.whiteglovecollection.com/cord">
    <font color=blue><font face="Century Gothic" size="6">My Web Site</a></font>

Quote Originally Posted by Corduroy
    Windows XP reports is connecting at 4.0 Mbps, which would be 4000Kbps, isn't that right?
    That's right, roughly 4000Kbps.

Originally posted by Corduroy [B]
    Well, the website for my DSL company reports connections up to 512Kbps, which would be 0.512Mbps.
    That's right again, roughly.

Originally posted by Corduroy [B]
    Is Windows XP reporting this incorrectly?
    It appears that it is reporting it incorrectly. But to help you, let me know what hardware you have. Is your modem internal or external? How does it physically connect. Lastly what type of service, does it use PPPoE where you have to log in, or are you always on?

Later

Oh yeah, has it always done that or has it just started?

The Modem is an Alcatel Speed Touch USB Modem. We are running on PPPoE, so we do have to log on. I'm obviously not getting 4000kbps, but how can I tweak this modem to give me an accurate connection speed?
    <Font size=2>"The demand to restrict technology is the demand to restrict man's mind" -- Ayn Rand
    <a style="text-decoration: none" href="http://www.whiteglovecollection.com/cord">
    <font color=blue><font face="Century Gothic" size="6">My Web Site</a></font>

I still need an answer to this question.

Quote Originally Posted by FA-MAS
    Oh yeah, has it always done that or has it just started?
    Since it's a USB modem, I would say re-install the drivers first. That may take care of it right there.

Next, you are you using the built in Windows XP PPPoE right? You should be, if not uninstall any PPPoE software you have and use WinXP's. But If you are using WinXP's do this:

Go to control panel --> network connections
    and delete all of the connections there. Just leave any LAN connections, Firewire, etc. This is important because Windows XP is supposed to rebuild the communications portion of itself when they're all gone.

then close all that stuff
    and go to start --> run
    type in "command" without the quotes, then click ok

in the DOS box, type "netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt"
    again without the quotes.

This is going to restore TCP/IP back to it's pristene state. You could open up c:\resetlog.txt to see what it reset

then re-boot, and re-build the connection in network connections.

Later

Alcatel Speed Touch USB Modem, now there's a dirty word! I had one of these and it locked up my ADSL line 3 or 4 times in 2 months. I cracked it with my ISP and they gave me a Dlink DSL-200, and it hasn't caused any trouble at all.

Anyway, back on the ranch, you could try downloading and installing AnologX Netstat Live, then download something from your ISP and it'll give a pretty accurate idea of what bandwidth you have, you never know, your ISP may have stuffed up and given you more bandwidth than you are paying for.

Thread Information