Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swann.....chip?

I havn't heard of that one but then with the introduction of broadband here the reviewing of dailup modems seems to have ceased which is a bit of a shame as a lot of ppl are still restricted to dailup connections. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

pdv, how far are you from your phone exchange (in kilometres obviously)? I should be able to figure out a rough guide as to what connection speed you should expect. One of my friends who lives about 16KM out of Boonah gets 19,200bps with his Diamond Supra Express, replaced it with a Maestro Woomera and it connects at 33,600bps, with far fewer dropouts. That ain't a bad speed boost - if time is important to you plunk down the $$$ for a Woomera - they rock on noisy lines :thumb:
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Albinus
    I am 7.5 k's from the exchange

7.5KM? You should be getting in the vicinity of just under 28,800bps without resorting to a Woomera modem - methinks that Tel$tra has pairgained your line with your neighbour (quite common in regional areas to save rolling out copper) - a pairgained line at 7.5KM would net about 16Kbps by my calculations, which seems what you are getting now.

Is your phone line running near an electric fence? These are a major killer of data in the bush. Anyway here's the Australian government's site on dialup speeds and tips on improving speed and reliability:

http://www.iapselfhelp.com/customer/index.cfm

They aim for you to acheive 19.2Kbps... what a joke (thanks to Telstra's crummy lines in your area)
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information